Relax

Archives1

Staff member
This post was to bring to spotlight about the worry cycle and how that can affect your bladder. There is a definite mental component to incontinence, and no I am not saying its all in your head. I think when we worry though or say "Its going to be a bad day" it's a self fulfilling prophecy.

This past year I spent a good chunk of the year restricting my fluids for daytime incontinence, limiting my soda or caffeine and limiting what I drank(water included). I went through 3 pullups a day down to 1 or 2 now daily. Didn't change my diet at all, just added more water and stopped worrying what was wrong with me.

In the end I actually had more leaks by worrying about drinking the wrong things, being judged for that, and not hydrating properly. I can't guarantee this will help anyone besides me, but live your life. If anyone judges you for what you do, that is on them.

Having said that, if you do choose to have anything caffinated be prepared for more possible leaks but it isn't a guarantee. In my case the worry worsened the leaks, less than the caffeine interestingly.

Relax. Live your life. Don't worry about the perceptions of others. Only you live in your body.

HI @ICGamer, That is really great advice and I find that worrying is a definite trigger. I think worry can increase the leaks and then that creates even more worry and then it's a vicious circle! So what breaks that circle?? I'd say not worrying about it! I know it's easier said than done but after living with this for awhile you do get to where how others perceive you doesn't matter. You live your own life and that's what counts! Not what Joe Blow who lives down the street thinks! Adding more water is a good thing. And if needed, then wear a more absorbent type of protection. And you do know what is right for you! It's definitely OK to do that!😊

Very well put and so true. For most literally you just have to stop overthinking etc. We are all our own worst enemies. Why? Why can’t most people not truly move themselves for how they are period. And give yourself some kindness and focus on the positives don’t dwell on the negatives.

Cheers

Jason