Recent laparoscopic radical prostatectomy

Archives1

Staff member
I'm 3 weeks since surgery and had first meeting with physical therapist recently for incontinence. I feel like my level of incontinence is moderate and every passing day it seems to be getting better. Part of my surgery included an urethal suspension. I am going through 3 Depends on average each day. I'm 52 and in pretty good shape. Seems like I'm on a good track but would be curious to hear from anyone on what to expect as far as recovery timeline.

In addition, I've been prescribed daily 5mg tadalafil and using a vacuum pump for ED. Does anybody know typically how long to regain control of erections and active sex life?

Thanks!

@Markus,

At about your same age I started to develop ED. (I am now 73.) No surgeries or other causes were identified. I suspect it was caused by the many other conditions that I developed since about 1995 and the meds I have to take for them. I also suspect the anesthesia from many surgeries, unrelated to urinary problems. It may have been caused by bicycle riding too. No way to know.

Early on, I too was prescribed a vacuum. I tried it for a while, but it was very uncomfortable and awkward to use. Ultimately I just gave up and threw it away.

Later came urgency and frequency. That has been improved with minimal surgical procedures and more meds. I even lost an eye due to a retina detachment. Ultimaely, I took disability in 2006.

I thank my Lord Jesus for giving me a very wonderful and faithful wife. She has stood by my bedside through it all.

I pray that things get better for you.

Meza

@Markus sounds like you are doing well if you can see improvement after only 3 weeks. I hope that the improvement continues, cheers Phil

Hello Markus
I had the radical prostatectomy in August, 2017 and initially I was at about four pads a day. But at present time I am about six pads a day. I was also scheduled for the Artificial Urinary Sphincter (AUS) on two occasions but chickened out both times. I have a long history of bladder cancer and just don’t think the AUS would be right for me. I am 72 and afraid of going into old age and experiencing mechanical failure too often. But I am also hopeful there will improvements with the Sling or some other kind of magical breakthrough in the future. Wishing you all the best, Markus.

Hi Markus,

Do well on your recovery! Did your urologist give you a range on erectile function recovery? Mine said 2 months to 2 years. Medical literature says out to 3 years for some men. Your age should help, too.

I'm 65 and had an open radical prostatectomy when I was 60. This was with unilateral nerve sparing vs. bilateral so I anticipated that erections could be an issue. After 4.5 years, I have total ED and moderate incontinence. I use 2 - 4 Depends during the day and wear a diaper at night. This hasn't been a defeat or loss as I feel better than ever at having dealt effectively with prostate cancer. With time, I've certainly gotten used to my lack of urinary control. A loving wife of 35 years has also been a huge help.

This is just to point out that whatever the outcome in terms of 'side effects' leaving cancer behind and moving ahead with life is a great motivator.

John

@jdtat Thanks John. Well said. My doc told me 3-4 months on the ED. As I said, I’m only 3 weeks removed from surgery so I’ll continue to follow his direction on recovery and hope for the best.