Rash creams baby vs the adult ones.

RugerAl said:
Hello is their any diffrence in them? Other than price. Thanks Al.

I have seen both and wondered the same thing myself is there a difference in strength and effectiveness or are they trying to differentiate adult from infant products due to stigma reasons they both do the same job so what's the deal?

Hi Al,

I've used an Adult medline brand barrier cream to prevent rashes. I guess I am fortunate in the sense that I do not typically have rashes - however, it is okay to use medicated ointments doesn't matter if they are branded for babies or not - I know Tena makes a line of creams as well if you are looking for an incontinence branded product. All that really matters is that the skin heals.

Hope this helps :)

Sincerely,
Honeeecombs

I use walmarts verison of Desiten. And A&D too. It sounds like there is no advatage to use a adult version. It just caught my curiosity. As far as stigma it don't bother me. Incontinence is a medical condition. Many folks have. No reason to be ashamed.

I found that I can't use Desiten. It burns my skin. Something in the ingredients -- I was thinking the Zinc Oxide? A&D ointment doesn't burn, so it's cool. Even Vaseline could work! Anyone have input about Vaseline?

My dermatologist advised me to try Triple Paste, found near the Desitin in the drugstore. It seems to work well, but urine soaked pads against the skin for long periods of time are pretty sure to cause irritation, no matter what you use.

Rashes from urine is easier to handle than when you have diarrhea - I do the pharmacy brand - but I think they are more specific to kids than adults.

@RugerAl We have discussed this topic many times in the past; please remember to use the search (magnifying glass) function before bringing up a topic that’s already been discussed repeatedly.

I use Calmoseptine, recommended by my primary care physician. It’s hard to clean off which means one little smear works for days, like it or not! Only downside: the oil in it is hard to get out of your clothes, but I wouldn’t say it’s overly obvious.

When I get a severe rash, it’s usually yeast-based, so I also take oral Flucanazole 150mg for 7-10 days, and include prescription Nyamyc powder on top of the Calmoseptine. Once in a while I also apply a female vaginal yeast cream in my diaper creases.

I find Calmoseptine to be instantly cooling and soothing. It makes it so I can’t feel the irritating gathers of the pull-up. It doesn’t take much of Calmoseptine for it to be very effective. One bottle has lasted me for 1.3 years! Sometimes you have to ask the pharmacist to get it for you from behind the counter even though it’s an over-the-counter product, because it’s so commonly stolen for babies (so sad!). It’s available more easily on Amazon and at a discount rate if you buy two or more at the same time. I 1,000% recommend Calmoseptine and it’s worth every penny because of how long and how well it works. It does have a temporary mild odor as do all ointments, but it’s less offensive overall when compared to others like yucky Desitin.

Desitin doesn’t help me and smells horrible! I’ve also tried (odorless) Cavilon made by 3M, to no effect. I only tried the cream, not the spray. There is a forum member here somewhere who swears by the spray version of Cavilon. Cavilon is definitely pricey. I wouldn’t say Calmoseptine is cheap, either, but it’s totally worth it!

@pegasi99 My dermatologist loves Aquaphor if you want a Vaseline-type (petroleum) product, but he advises against it for diaper rash. I’ve tried Aquaphor by itself, and Aquaphor combined with Neosporin, and didn’t benefit from either; in fact, they both seem to make rashes worse. I think the heat in that part of the body makes the petroleum jelly too hot and therefore more irritating, or something like that.

Hope this helps!

snow said:
@RugerAl We have discussed this topic many times in the past; please remember to use the search (magnifying glass) function before bringing up a topic that’s already been discussed repeatedly.

I use Calmoseptine, recommended by my primary care physician. It’s hard to clean off which means one little smear works for days, like it or not! Only downside: the oil in it is hard to get out of your clothes, but I wouldn’t say it’s overly obvious.

When I get a severe rash, it’s usually yeast-based, so I also take oral Flucanazole 150mg for 7-10 days, and include prescription Nyamyc powder on top of the Calmoseptine. Once in a while I also apply a female vaginal yeast cream in my diaper creases.

I find Calmoseptine to be instantly cooling and soothing. It makes it so I can’t feel the irritating gathers of the pull-up. It doesn’t take much of Calmoseptine for it to be very effective. One bottle has lasted me for 1.3 years! Sometimes you have to ask the pharmacist to get it for you from behind the counter even though it’s an over-the-counter product, because it’s so commonly stolen for babies (so sad!). It’s available more easily on Amazon and at a discount rate if you buy two or more at the same time. I 1,000% recommend Calmoseptine and it’s worth every penny because of how long and how well it works. It does have a temporary mild odor as do all ointments, but it’s less offensive overall when compared to others like yucky Desitin.

Desitin doesn’t help me and smells horrible! I’ve also tried (odorless) Cavilon made by 3M, to no effect. I only tried the cream, not the spray. There is a forum member here somewhere who swears by the spray version of Cavilon. Cavilon is definitely pricey. I wouldn’t say Calmoseptine is cheap, either, but it’s totally worth it!

@pegasi99 My dermatologist loves Aquaphor if you want a Vaseline-type (petroleum) product, but he advises against it for diaper rash. I’ve tried Aquaphor by itself, and Aquaphor combined with Neosporin, and didn’t benefit from either; in fact, they both seem to make rashes worse. I think the heat in that part of the body makes the petroleum jelly too hot and therefore more irritating, or something like that.

Hope this helps!

Completely agree 100%, Calmoseptine is all I've used for years.

@RugerAl i’m glad you found it! I think it’s a little bit less expensive, or at least equally priced, on Amazon anyway. Please let us know what you think of it. It used to be a prescription medication.

Im very satisfied with the Calmoseptine. Rash has cleared. I use it now in the morning. And at night after my bath. I love how it reples unrine too.