Question for those that journal their issues.

Archives1

Staff member
I am going to start keeping track of my day-to-day issues but from a disability perspective, I want to know how much information I should put down. Meaning if I gave a copy of the said journal to people making decisions what would be TMI verse needed information?

Anyone got any feedback on what worked for them to get doctor ECT to see how bad thing are day to day?

Document it in double spaces lines keep it clinical not too wordy. Put a time on the event of issue so it can easily be seen as event repeats in 5 minute or hou intervals
(Wirked in home nursing care)

They don't need every detail, or you would have an encyclopedia. Probably just stick to your issues that you need to share with your care team. Exact times are not necessary, but close times would suffice.

Okay so I have a bit of a reason behind why I need to start journaling. When my uncle was filling for disability with social security he didn't have disability ins. like I do but his disability rep with social services told him that he needs to be able to show that he is not able to do a normal job due to his condition.. I definitely can't do a normal job because I can't stay standing up because my lower stomach muscles are not working so my back is doing all the work. That along with the double incontinence and pain in my guts has been enough for my doctors and disability ins. To keep me out of any job that I was doing.

What my uncle said he had to show was what his day to day struggling looked like. ( He has cellulitis in lymphedema due to his weight and can't walk much because one of his legs is 150+ lbs)

So what I want to have is a journal of my day to day care that shows how much trouble I have each day but don't give all the TMI details.

Think that makes sense.

I think keeping a journal is an excellent idea. Write down what happened and how it affected you. If it were me I'd also say how I felt about an occurrence. If you have a certain occurrence then include the time of day it happened so that could be a clue to doctors who are reading it and they can act accordingly. I think double-spacing it as Maymay suggested is the way to go! Good luck with this. I think you're on the right track!!

I didn't mean to be condescending, I think it's best to stick to the facts and be honest and less wordy as possible. To much information may not be in your best interests. I speak from experience. Many years ago I had won a unemployment compensation claim, until I opened my mouth and put my foot in it right up to my hip. I gave the claims examiner too much information and my claim was denied. I learned to only give them the information they needed.

And @artiejr, those are the times that you absolutely wish you could take back!!! I know that feeling all too well!!! But you're right; only give the info that they ask for. It's like being in court and being cross-examined by a lawyer. Just be as succinct as possible and the judge won't have to rap his gavel!!!

RE TRACKING JOURNAL: You know your body best. When communicating with doctors TELL THEM WHAT YOU THINK WOULD WORK BEST and EXPLAIN YOUR SYMPTOMS IN DETAIL. They are like detectives looking for clues. The more "clues" they have the better chance they will prescribe the best treatment FOR YOU. Good luck from Canada