Question for the men...

Archives1

Staff member
So Ive been diagnosed with neurogenic bladder and OAB

Im a younger guy (early 30s) i have a chuld from a prior marriage and have since remarried.

Ive been diapered 24/7 for 13 month now, and my wife and started trying for kids about the same time with no luck

Weve both been to the fertility ckinic, all her test result come back normal, mine come back with low motility and low sperm count (but normal volume)

The doctor thinks the heat from the diapers have caused fertility issies....has anyone else ever experienced this or heard of this?

All i can find are articles about baby boys in diapers as infants, whoch appear to have been disproven

Wish I could offer some advice but I honestly have no idea. The logic in your arguments seem to have validity in that it is possible that the additional heat may result in sperm being denatured. It’s quite plausible just considering that statement.

I am sorry I am not much help. Hopefully someone else on this board has something more to offer.

This is a tough one. Are you using plastic backed? Might consider cloth or the cloth like disposables.

It might be a big adjustment, bit you could also try a condom catheter for a few days. I recall hearing that some docs direct guys to switch to boxers over briefs to keep heat from that area.

Tough question, I also started having to wear in my 30’s when my wife and I tried for kids we had same issues. Tests showed my sperm were malformed and low count. There may be a connection.

I may try cloth for a while and see if that makes a difference, Are cloth backed disposable that much cooler?

MarineJohn said:
Tough question, I also started having to wear in my 30’s when my wife and I tried for kids we had same issues. Tests showed my sperm were malformed and low count. There may be a connection.

Were you able to have another kid after?

It sounds very posible to me, I have had friends that had to keep things cool down there to raise sperm count and they was not suffering from incontinence at all. And I know from experience that most diapers trap in heat not to mention the heat from fluid that is being held in the area. I really dont know but that’s my thinking on it.

Ruhappy said:
It sounds very posible to me, I have had friends that had to keep things cool down there to raise sperm count and they was not suffering from incontinence at all. And I know from experience that most diapers trap in heat not to mention the heat from fluid that is being held in the area. I really dont know but that’s my thinking on it.

Im.sure you're right...just dont know what to do about it

The dr idea was to use a cath...which I'm not on board with

@Brady0421 hi Brady, the cloth backed ones still have a layer of plastic inside in the front and back to contain the liquid, but the sides are completely fabric. I'm a hot and sweaty person and use the fabric backed products as I get far too hot in the all over plastic versions. If heat is your problem, you could try swapping? Just one thing to be aware of, the fabric at the sides can stretch and so the middle can sag when wet. I pre stretch mine before putting them on, I think it helps a bit, cheers Phil

Phil,
Thanks for the suggestion about pre stretching. I have been using a couple bags that have fabric sides and was wondering why the rear panel ended up sliding down my rear after a few hours. Will try your advice. It’s been annoying having them fall down in the back.

Baby0421,

If the warmth from the diapers is causing a fertility problem, maybe you would have better fertility results if you wore an external catheter with a collection bag for a few months.

That is a good idea about pre-stretching.

Anyone have experience with regular cloth and plastic pants? Is that cooler than a plastic disposable?

@Brady0421 sorry I haven't tried cloth and plastic pants. A condom catheter is a good idea if your penis is a stable size. Mine changes a lot during the course of a day and so a sheath catheter won't stay on. I wish you luck in finding something to help, Phil

I had my accident in 97 and fathered 4 children and I only use disposable briefs with plastic backing so in my case it didn't affect my fertility.

In regards to sweating and being hot with plastic backed briefs I take oxybutynin for the bladder spasms and it greatly reduces how much I sweat, without it I'd have to use a brief that breathes.

Ask your Dr for oxybutynin if you have excessive sweating.

I too fathered 4 children while using 24/7 diapers. However, when I first needed them (in the early 1980's), there were very few good disposable products, so we used cloth. However, we used plastic pants always to prevent leaks, so I have a feeling the temperature issue was roughly the same. It certainly felt very hot and not terribly comfortable. This worked out well at the time, since we had at from 1 - 2 kids in diapers also, and used cloth with them. All 4 were boys, and all have also had families. So, I don't feel that the diapers caused any problems in my family.

btmsupnmd said:
I too fathered 4 children while using 24/7 diapers. However, when I first needed them (in the early 1980's), there were very few good disposable products, so we used cloth. However, we used plastic pants always to prevent leaks, so I have a feeling the temperature issue was roughly the same. It certainly felt very hot and not terribly comfortable. This worked out well at the time, since we had at from 1 - 2 kids in diapers also, and used cloth with them. All 4 were boys, and all have also had families. So, I don't feel that the diapers caused any problems in my family.

Thats awesome, I'm glad it worked.out for you!

My doctor is CONFIDENT thisnis the issue

I'm just so frustrated.

Are you still wearing cloth or did you switch to disposables? Is there much, if any, temperature difference

If your doctor is confident of this, then I would certainly follow his advice. They know a lot more about reproductive health now than they did when I was first having a family. I may have just gotten very lucky. I am mostly in disposables these days, just for the convenience, and to minimize the amount of extra padding under street clothes. At night, I'm still using cloth and plastic pants. I don't think I notice much difference in temperature, but I also don't feel particularly hot or uncomfortable in my daytime diapers. Maybe I just have more tolerance for the heat.

But I think the most important message is to follow doctor's advice, and try not to be too frustrated. Being in diapers has many frustrations, especially when you are young and active. But remember that there are much worse conditions that many other people deal with every day. You will eventually have a family, one way or another, just try to be patient.

diapers cause infertility due to heat. Period, end of story. They trap way too much heat. Anyone who says otherwise is ill informed.

When my wife and I had our first child she got pregnant the very first week we tried. Over the next year, my incon started and by the time we started trying for our 2nd kid, I was in diapers every night and pullups during the day.

I we tried for a full year and she just wouldn't get pregnant. I read this study and was convinced it was the diapers. I stopped wearing to bed and slept on a pile of towels every night. Sure enough, about 70 nights without diapers, just as the study results would predict, she got pregnant.

The timing is too spot on to be a conincidence and given that with our first child we got pregnant the first time we tried but struggled so much the second time with diapers being the ONLY variable, I'm certain this was the cause.

Check it out.

You may need to find a diaper alternative for a few months (cath or condom cath?)

This article talks about the study....the Second link is to the actual study.