Quality of life with incontinence.

Archives1

Staff member
Over the last few years dealing with this issue 24/7 one of my biggest things is having a good quality of life.

Some families and even those with this issue will not understand that sometimes things suck enough that it is worth incontinence being worse to not be in pain all the time.

I have plans later this month to go dog and house sit for my brother. After that, I am thinking I am going to talk to my surgeon about doing Botox into the muscles we did before. That would mean more bowel incontinence issues but a lot less pain.

At this point, the spasms just suck too much to not do it to improve quality of life.

@ThatFLGuy 'Sorry to hear of your difficulty. I think this is - and should be - a very personal call. I know people want you to "buck up" and "be strong", but they aren't the ones enduring what you're enduring. Their life is not your life. They don't know what you're experiencing. You need to seek information and advice, but, in the end, it IS YOUR call and and your life! What is best for someone else, may not be best for you or what you want. I do believe in the old saying about walking a mile in someone else's shoes before judging them. Right or wrong (by someone else's measure), it's your life. As long as it doesn't harm someone else, do what is best for you. ... And best wishes!

The closest experience I've had is knowing that the side effects of the drugs available are extremely dangerous, and that many of them are symptoms I either do have or have had from a head injury. I wouldn't want my incontinence to be worse than it is, but that is not my call. As it is, the degree is increasing already, so I put up with it, but don't know how long I'll be able to do that and shrug it off. It's getting to be a greater pain in the neck. Maybe it'll build character. I can hope...

There is a huge side to what I am dealing with that only my surgeon and Physical Therapist understand.

My surgeon listed that during my last Botox during an under-anesthesia rectal exam, I was having 20-60 spasms per minute. They both clinch and what I call tonic spasm. The tonic spasm feels like a vibration that will not go away. That is what I have the most on in my rectum. The clinch is like trying to hold it.

And I do get them in male parts as well. The clinch spasms are the worst but don't last long. They are like a Charlie horse if you know what that is.

The issue is that no tests have been done to see why this is happening to me.

But doing nothing and just living with the spasms sucks.

I bend down to get stuff out of the fridge and then have a clinch spasm, and mess with my diaper but the spam lasts for 20 minutes to as long as 2 hours.

I just want them to figure something out that works or give me something that will help.

At this point, all we have done is go back to what I was dealing with all this time and it sucks.