Purewick - external catheter for women

Archives1

Staff member
My Mom (age 91) has recently started to use the Purewick external catheter system at night. When she is compliant with the system, she wakes up dry in the morning. For those in the U.S., the system is covered by Medicare for those who have a medical necessity prescription from your doctor. The system and catheters are all covered by Medicare. If you’re not familiar with the system, I recommend looking into it.

I have an appointment with a urologist to get a script for this! It should not be an issue and I’m so excited. I used it in the hospital and it was great!

I’m a side sleeper and the manufacturer says it doesn’t work for side sleepers. Has anyone on the forum been a side sleeper and tried it?

I’m also a side sleeper. Of course, in the hospital, I’m more likely to sleep on my back, but I did change positions to my side and stayed dry. I loved it!

UGH! I have bad news. We JUST NOW got a call from Liberator Medical saying that Medicare has decided they will no longer cover the PureWick supplies as “medically necessary”. A 30-day supply of the catheters is now “discounted” at $117. I’m so sorry for this very disappointing news!