PTNS (Percutaneous Tibial Nerve Stimulation) is working!!!

Archives1

Staff member
Good news! I have completed 4 out of 12 sessions of PTNS, and my urge incontinence has decreased substantially.

"PTNS is a low-risk, non-surgical treatment. PTNS works by indirectly providing electrical stimulation to the nerves responsible for bladder and pelvic floor function. Also during treatment, a slim needle electrode is placed near the nerve at the ankle known as the tibial nerve. During PTNS treatment, the patient's feet are comfortably elevated and supported." simonfoundation.org

The treatment is administered by an RN. The electrical stimulation feels like a pulse. You can ask the nurse to regulate the strength of the pulse. It doesn't hurt. Each treatment is 30-45 minutes.

I am so happy!

And I am happy to have this group with whom I can share my good news!

This iS a breath of fresh air!!
CONGRATULATIONS
Can you remindvus the nature of your incontinence, is it 24 7 or just night was it an injury or just came on life long or a recent event. This might be useful

Congratulations I was given this option but chose the bladder pacemaker hoping this will work for me. Has anyone had good results with this? Thank You in advance

Cfer please do let us know how your pacemaker works out!
It is extremely helpful to get up dates every 6 months as some things seem to work but we need to better understand longevity of sucess too.
Wishing you all good health in this!

MayMay, thanks for your congratulations!

My incontinence is 24/7. I started having it about 10 years ago. I don't remember exactly. I don't know why. No injury. It got worse over the years.

I only recently learned about PTNS from my urogynecologist.

I have never heard of a bladder pacemaker. I hopt it works, and yes, please, do keep us posted.

It seems like suddenly we are hearing about new treatments here! Or maybe just under different names but very hopeful to hear the good results

@cfer1025

I am assuming you mean the Medtronic Interstim device implant. There are lots of posts about that here. Try doing a search.

It has been great for me. I had a trial first. That is, they attached it externally for a few days. After I saw some improvement Medicare would approve it for permanent implant.

Suggestions:

* Be aware that you cannot use certain imaging and other energy therapies. For example, I cannot use MRI. That's a big deal! If you have an injury or other diagnostic needs it could be dangerous.

* Be sure to consider where you have it implanted. In my case, I asked for the device to be placed above my belt line, on my back. Consider how you move, sleep, and if you carry anything on your belt.

* Be sure you understand how to use your remote controller. The one I have is not that user-friendly. It's too easy to accidentally turn it off.

* Be careful to not raise the power level above 4.0 or you will drain the internal battery. I had to have it replaced after only 18 months, because I had drained the battery. (They may be rechargeable by now.)

* There are 99 different programs available but you only have 4 loaded on your device to choose from. You can switch from-time-to-time. If they stop working get to your doctor to try a different set of programs. Don't just keep increasing the power.

* If you go back to a previous channel be ready to quickly lower the power setting. For whatever the reason, it can be shocking to go back! Your body gets used to the setting you are using. When you move to a different channel and then go back, it's not used to it anymore. You'll see. 🤦‍♂️

May Jesus bless you in this treatment!

Thank you Mezza. I did not know the nick name was bladder pace maker!!
Glad you are having good results Mezza

Bosammy, I am so glad thePTNS is working for you . I had it done over a year ago, but I did all 12 treatments and not a change at all in my urge In. I have now tried botox and some other bulking material they put in uretha and it ishelping a lot. I don't think they will ever clear up my problem. Bur I am hoping.

Hi Colin, I feel like I am one of the lucky ones with the PTNS, since it's only 60% effective. I hope I will get better and better over the next 8 treatments.
I am glad that your other treatments are helping a lot. I am hoping that someday your problem will be cleared up completely. I am hoping the same for all of us.