PSA increase since radical prostectomy

Archives1

Staff member
bold text
I have had a PSA of <o.1for a year and a half post surgery. Recently,it is slightly elevated …to a 0.1. So it is no longer less than 0.1 Is this a course for concern? Anyone else have any experience with this?

I saw this online:

"After the surgical removal of the prostate (prostatectomy) PSA drops to virtually undetectable levels (less than 0.1), depending on the lab performing the PSA test. This is effectively zero, but by definition can never get all the way to zero, given the sensitivity of the test and the fact that, at very low readings, other proteins may be misread as “PSA protein.”"

From this, I gather that the test is not 100% accurate, and a tiny variation may not mean anything. That is just my speculation, though.

15 months after my prostatectomy, my PSA went from <0.02 to 0.03. I had another test in one week and the level was confirmed at 0.03. I am now 3 months later and will be getting another PSA test in 2 weeks for my Urologist appointment. I was told that they will watch to see how quickly the PSA level takes to double. If we get to 2.0, then I will be heading to radiation. Hopefully, this time will show no change from the 0.03. Fingers crossed!

My dr calls post op PSA a perfect test. Sooo if it is truly
detectable some of those rotten little cells may have escaped.
Your dr is well aware of that

ericy said:
15 months after my prostatectomy, my PSA went from <0.02 to 0.03. I had another test in one week and the level was confirmed at 0.03. I am now 3 months later and will be getting another PSA test in 2 weeks for my Urologist appointment. I was told that they will watch to see how quickly the PSA level takes to double. If we get to 2.0, then I will be heading to radiation. Hopefully, this time will show no change from the 0.03. Fingers crossed!

15 months post prostatectomy and all 5 readings have been <0.06 my urologist tells me that there is no sign of cancer and it’s considered undetectable...