Protec Washable PeePeePants(.com)

Archives1

Staff member
Has anyone heard of this product?

It claims to have decent absorbency for larger urinary voids. But also comes with a hefty price tag of almost $70.

I'm tempted to make the leap and give it a test run, just to see if I can reduce my carbon footprint by using something reliable and reusable.

Worse comes to worst, it ends up being a $70 diaper cover to prevent sagging and leaks while on the go. At the same time I'd rather just buy to Gary Wear covers at that price.

Thanks for your feedback.
clickable text
40ac585508a42b81b8efee3c3be700ef.jpg

Looks like just the product I've been looking for - a proper, sturdy cover which offers real protection when leaks happen. Looks like it may also offer some compression. The price is a real barrier though so I'll pass. Since switching to BetterDry I haven't had leakage issues that often and when they have occurred, it's because I haven't changed enough. I have wondered about using an adult swim nappy as a cover, although it seems that they're only made for fecal incontinence so wonder if it would be any use against urinary leaks.
clickable text

I was considering it when my IBS was bad but the osteopath has worked wonders with that so am not as anxious about IBS related accidents anymore, although I still do get close calls.

I ordered a set to see how good they actually are as it could be really useful when I am travelling and not able to change easily. Will report back once I have tried them as the price point is forsure up there. ;)

I have had pretty good luck with them as a cover. I don't think absorbency is high enough to use on their own, unless you have dribble inco or planning on changing after a single void.

Yes, I have a pair. I recently did a review of them on reddit. I'll paste it below.

I got my PROTECbrief a couple of weeks ago. On first assessment, this product reminds me more of a pair of bike shorts than a diaper cover. The extra large has a snug fit on me, but that seems to be the right fit. The texture reminds me of thin neoprene, with a padded interior, but the material has some stretch so that can't be right. This laminate material is distinct from any of the PUL pants I have used, but it seems to do the job quite well.

The construction is unusual in that the seams are on the inseam, not the hips. This means that there is no chance for leaking for side sleepers, as there are no seams on the sides at all. The back is cut extra high, and the front is cut low, with a built in belt that wraps around the front and velcros in place, covering the low front area. The legs come down to mid-thigh, and end on a triple stitched termination that is not gathered with elastic. This means they have the appearance of shorts, not bloomers. The entire inside surface, including the belt, is lined with absorbent material and a wicking lining, all the way to the edges. The only elastic gathering is along the edge of where your belly would be, but the entire piece is slightly stretchy.

When I get ready for bed I put my diaper on as usual and then pull the PROTECbrief up like shorts. It fits snuggly over my diaper and my thighs, almost all the way down to where it loosens like shorts just before the bottom. The back comes up just over the back of my diaper, and the front reaches the top of my diaper almost exactly. However, I do fold the top of my diaper in when I put it on, so if I didn't to that it would not be high enough to cover. You then pull the left belt across, followed by the right, which covers the front edge and secures the cover in place. This might completely cover the top edge of an unfolded diaper, and the belt is padded and waterproof like the rest of the cover.

So far I have tested these with 3 diapers; my current favorite, the BetterDry, and two of the diapers I've used in the past, the Northshore Supreme, and the Abena Abriform L4. I've "challenged" each diaper enough to cause a leak and see if the PROTECbrief cover handled it. The supreme leaked in 6 places on the first night. Both tapes, both sides of the crotch in the front, and both sides of the crotch in the back. The Abena leaked at the crotch and one of the tapes. The BetterDry had a small leak at the crotch one night, and another night had a catastrophic leak at both legs and one of the tapes (a wash all the sheets kind of leak). The PROTECbrief has caught everything. Nothing leaks through or gets out. Even leaks up to the front edge have been stopped at the belt. My number of trials have been limited, but so far the results are impressive.

I would add that the PROTECbrief is very comfortable. Initially it felt a bit restrictive, but I think it's relaxed a bit since I've been using it. Unlike other diaper covers, there are no leg cuffs digging into your joints either, and nothing to tuck in. The lining is very soft, and I don't find it objectionable. Of course I'm only wearing it at night, but I suspect this would be quite suitable for daytime use as well.

The only drawbacks I potentially see are the compression effecting some diapers, and the front edge potentially being too low. The compression is a coin flip honestly. It flattens the diaper profile a bit, which is nice, and it makes my diapers TOTALLY SILENT, which I see as a huge benefit. However, some diapers don't deal with compression well, and I suspect that's why the supreme leaked so readily. You definitely won't experience diaper sag or tapes popping while using this product. The front being cut so low might be a matter of preference, but I spoke to Jeanne about this, and she said they've already received this feedback and have plans to update the design. It's great to see that the company is so responsive to users.

Overall, this is a great product. I really like it. It's a very effective diaper cover that doesn't look like a diaper cover. It's comfortable, and backs up my diaper better than any other cover I've ever owned. I have vinyl pants and PUL pants and I don't wear them, but I have worn these every night since I got them. The biggest hurdle here is price, but honestly I'm planning to get another pair at some point. I think these are worth it.

These pants sound pretty good at picking up and containing small leaks, which is what they are designed for, but on the practical side I have a few questions...

1) When you wash them how long do they take to dry? I know even my PUL pants take quite while if just hanging to dry and I suspect these might take a long time due to their multi layer design. Hopefully these can be dried in a dryer, or will that damage the material in some way? This could be a real issue if you were using them while on travel and didn't have full laundry facilities at hand.

2) Are they hot to wear? I would think that the snug fit and being padded inside, not to mention having a diaper underneath, would make them very hot to wear, what has your experience been with respect to how warm they are?

@Padded53 I dry mine in the dryer on low. Functionally, they catch a pretty substantial leak as well. I won't use them without a diaper, but they work with a leak that would substantially wet your clothing/bedding.

I've only had mine in the winter, but I have no problem with them being too hot. Might be different when I'm sweating it out in July, or camping, or something.

I got these pants finally late last week. I thankfully do not have overnight issues so I imagine this product is stellar for bedtime issues.

I have used it during the daytime and found that I still somehow get leaks while wearing these pants though I think the problem was since around my thighs while standing are not fully sealed urine leaked out to my clothing and thus this product wasn’t able to fully contain the leak.

Granted I wasn’t wearing plastic pants at the time and perhaps that would have prevented the leak.

Do really like the texture and feel of the protec pants as it will help prevent diapers from sagging and or becoming undone.

Jason

Hi msuspartan.

They are not snug around my thighs so I am assuming I will have better results lol if they are snug. It was just one of those days where I was like Of course this needs to happen now. lol of course it does.

Oh the inherent joys of being incontinent lol but eventually once one accepts it fully you just learn to laugh when stuff like this happens. Or at least that’s where I am at because getting upset isn’t helping anything or anyone. Just my humble opinion. ;)

Cheers

Jason