Product selection advice and overnight issue

Archives1

Staff member
Good morning or evening depending on your location.
I am currently awaiting a urologist but I wanted to get some opinions or ideas on an issue.

I have noticed my night clothes smell of urine typically and I should probably at the least wear a pullup overnight since I am a side sleeper. Wearing pullups right after my evening shower seems to make them less effective or feel weird, not sure what the word is.

I was curious if it seems excessive or rediculous to go through 2-3 pullups during the day, I know there are brief options. My concern with briefs is I was advised to urinate when possible, and that is tricky with briefs unless they can be re-attatched I believe.
Does anyone have any tips or know of any products that can be used and still allow freedom of going to the bathroom? Are pullups worth bothering about if I go through 2-3 daily? Thank you!

Hello. Here are a couple of thoughts for you. First of all, every person is different in terms of output. Every brand of diaper and pull-up is different too, so you may have to experiment with different options to find what suits your needs.
Let's start with the daytime. Two pull-ups a day or even three isn't really excessive. That's more or less what I go through in pull-ups when I wear them in the day. Of course, it depends on the brand you wear. If you want something that will hold more, you may want to go to a better brand. The Depend Real Fits may be just right for your needs, but you might also want to try a heavier pull-up like a Northshore Supreme. Alternately, you may want to consider adding a booster pad to your pull-up to increase its absorbancy. Finally, I product I have experimented with that people don't mention here much is the Depend Adjustable Underwear. It goes on like a pull-up, but it has rippable sides, so you can put it on like a diaper. It also has Velcro tabs, so you can adjust it and remove it easier, and put it back on if you take it off. Unfortunately, they are the only company that makes them. These are great in winter, for example. You don't have to get fully undressed to change it when you are out and about. You just rip the sides and put it on like a diaper.
As for night time, it sounds like you don't wear any protection at night. Again, it depends on output. Is it just a smell, or is there any puddling under you? Are your bed sheets wet? In general, I have found that pull-ups don't work well for me at night. I am a side sleeper and I tend to toss and turn. I also wet quite a bit. Given that you are a side sleeper, I would suggest a diaper. Also, make sure your bed is protected.
Hope it helps. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Try using a cup of vinegar along with your favorite laundry detergent when you wash your sheets and/or clothes. Helps get rid of urine smell.

@Danman I am lucky to have only smaller leaks/dribbles type of issue at night, but in the morning if I don't put a pullup on ASAP my bladder will leak,which is why I am considering an overnight option. I have mixed incontinence so when I sit up and walk for even a few minutes, a leak can happen. The pullup would be moreso a night into day transition since I go through 2-3 anyway. I am petite so finding smaller options is tricky.

Thank you for the booster pad idea. I totally forgot was an option with disposable pullups so I will add a heavy Poise/Tena pad and I assume that would cut back on cost, excellent idea!

I am not against transitioning to briefs but I also have to wait about a month to see a GP, then hope for a urologist soon.

What are you using now as pull-ups? You may be able to fit into a Goodnite, especially since they make them larger.

I alternate between Depend size small, or generic s/ms *that typically do not fit sadly, or sad easily* and could try a Goodnite as well. Wasn't aware they made them larger but that is an interested idea. I reached out to Northshore as well. Thank you for your help.

Hi @ICGamer, my personal preference is pull-ups because they do allow freedom to go to the bathroom when you can manage to do so. I don't find it unusual to go through 2 or 3 a day but if you have heavier voiding issues and you go more often then briefs would likely be the preferred choice simply because most of them do have more holding capacity and you wouldn't have to change all that often.
But settling on wearing pull-ups or briefs is a matter of trial and error. North Shore is an excellent resource and you may contact them for samples and that way you can determine your best style and size.
Also another possibility is the larger size of GoodNites. For someone who is more on the petite side, that can be workable and they are easy to buy at a big box or your local supermarket, so the convenience of buying those can't be beat!!
It looks like you're new here and please stop in when you have any questions or concerns or just want to say Hi! You'll find a lot of support and suggestions here!

Pull up cloth diaper with plastic pants would provide much more absorbency and freedom and easy to pull down just like any disposable. You might find you can use 1 or 2 per day plus have the savings of being able to reuse.
Personally I use tape on briefs during the day and pin on cloth with plastic pants overnight.