Problem is back. Need help.

Archives1

Staff member
I have been dry for about 3 months after being diagnosed with UUI and OABin Feb. suddenly it seems that detrol la stopped working so well lately. I’ve had issues since last night and am wearing a diaper again.

I decided to wear a plastic tabbed brief rather than a pull-up but the fit is always a little off and doesn’t stay in place. Is there a garment to keep diapers in place other than plastic pants? Basically I’m looking for something like a gurtle that rather than making me look thin, just holds the diaper in place. Is there such a thing?

Second. Is it common for these medicines to just stop working?

Hey there, Newbie. First, to keep your diaper in place, try wearing underwear over it. You'll be very pleasantly surprised at how it keeps your diaper snug and secure (and less noisy). I wear UnderArmour boxer briefs over my diaper all the time (except at night, when I just sleep in a diaper). Try that and let us know how it works.

Second question, as an RN and as someone who's also incontinent, I can absolutely tell you that the various OAB meds can stop working, or work much less effectively, after a period of time. Bottom line is they work differently from person to person. Some people may have great success with them. Others, no luck at all. And everything in between.

Hope that helps, bud!

Hi! I'm not sure if you are a man or woman, I send my female patients to this site for attractive undies that are "leakproof", I personally have not seen options specifically for men- I'm sure they are out there.. https://www.iconundies.com/pages/incontinence-underwear-reviews;
other options I have used is to have them line a pull up style of brief and double with a pad, better for maintaining healthy skin and comfort, decrease the sweating that plastic style pants/diapers (hate that word for adults) cause with active use.
I have heard from my patients that meds often are less effective, but they never explore what other thing might be changing: diet, sleep, food/beverage choices; spices eaten; exertion levels, times they are taking meds and what other meds they are taking that might interfere with the effectiveness of their bladder management meds. Lots of factors to weigh in on effectiveness.

Diet and stress is an interesting topic. I had very little sleep Friday night and had a long day both days. Not negative. Just visited family and friends out of town so lots of long driving. I drank some fizzy soda and cafinated beverages while driving. I usually avoid that. Maybe that caused the Flairup. Good thought. Thanks.

I’m almost to the point where I just stop the meds and deal with diapers because of the dry mouth and other side effects.

Edit. Since gender was asked about I’ll add I’m a 33 yr old male.

Sorry, I didn't mean to pry, just didn't want to offend by passing along female panty information.

caffeine definitely affects because it irritates the bladder; caffeine, spicy foods, acidic foods like tomato/citrus etc.
timing of when you are drinking/eating those things also will impact it's affect on you.

i don’t know if my information is helpful at all but maybe. i am much more likely to have incontinence episodes when i am walking to and standing on the train going to work than on a weekend morning when i’m just sitting around. i think i hate going to work and that gets things going when the reality of going to work sets in. the walking stirs things up and there is the period of time when there is nothing i can do but wait. i also did not consider but i have orange juice and coffee or tea every morning before leaving for work. maybe that figures in also. i have just coffee or tea on weekends and going to the bathroom is just a short walk to the bathroom at the first sign so no problme there.

I had experience with an OAB med abruptly stop working. Totally understand that. I can’t remember which one it was, maybe myrbetriq? Anyway, I tried a bunch of them and they didn’t work so I stuck with diapers, and when the OAB and interstitial cystitis became really bad I became a Foley catheter user, still wearing a diaper to catch small leaks around the foley.
Good luck and keep us informed.

Thanks for all the help and advice all. And to robin, thanks for the tips. Nothing offensive about the woman’s underwear suggestion. I’ll look at anything and everything. If I can’t fix the problem then I want to know all available tools to hide or mitigate it.

Thanks again and I’ll keep you all informed.

Meds can stop working. As a pharmacist who has UUI from OAB. My prostate has begun to grow too. The frustration is on both sides of the counter. I enjoy life. Part of life is eating and drinking, not ethanol, per se, but yes good coffee. I love tomatoes, and we grow oranges and lemons. When I have an episode, I diaper up. I often wear plastic pants to save my dignity especially when traveling. Babykins maks a snap on pant with barriers on the inside so the snap line doesn’t leak. Plastic pants catch what would show as wet spots in light colored clothing. If the urge episode is in a series and continued I use a onesie tee shirt. My Amazon shirt is 100% cotton but a bit heavy. Be careful if you use the toilet sitting, the shirt tail will take a dip! In winter time, I wear a bit warmer tee shirt/almost shorts. They are a cotton blend and make great PJ’s. The one I posted, again see my photos, is blue to show the snaps. I purchased two white ones. At night if my bladder is edgey, and I’m not full of fluids, I just use Babykins terry lined plastic pants. I’ve had great results with all their products. They stand behind their products and if defective they’ve replaced them. We Pharmers tend to be obsessive compulsives. Not pathological, just thorough.

17a03eb833cca7de74d9fa41243fac9c.jpg
5bb92d3db44623bb5e71210cc55abcce.jpg
19bae3f091b63090c8cb5f3393a2bb31.jpg
bf40d38c890e8e5361706bb98cd76985.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. I found a place near me in the suburbs of Chicago that specializes in the adult baby fetish and sells body suits. I was able to run over and try one on and purchased it. Fantastic for holding a diaper in place under clothing. He also gave me some samples of his diapers that are plastic backed with refastenable Velcro like tapes! I’ve been searching for that in the medically oriented diaper vendors and got nowhere! Only downside is the prints that look like a 1 year old or something. It’s funny that the fetish side of this would make such great products (based on looking at the diapers they look better than almost any I’ve seen but I haven tried one of the samples yet).

Big shout out to Tykables. If your new to this in the Chicago area this is a good place to talk to. They also have special underwear type shorts made to fit over diapers. The owner, who was working with me, said that a lot of their customers are incontinent but not Fetishists. Good to know that there are places willing to help with the technical day to day aspects of being diapered.

Fast update.
I called my doctors office first thing Tuesday. After discussing everything with an RN we decided I should stop the meds immediately and go in for a bladder scan which I will do tomorrow to make sure I’m not retaining since one of my symptoms was feeling like I’m not empty. Then keeping my uro apt late this month.

Since stopping the medicine the bladder issue is gone. The PT seems to have fixed it and that effect has stuck after being off meds since Tuesday. Wed wasn’t fun but since Thursday I’ve felt great.

Thanks for the help.