Positions for Wetting my diapers.

Archives1

Staff member
Why is it that I can wet my diaper while asleep on my back but not when I sleep on my side? Also, why can I wet my diaper standing up but not sitting down..i.e. couch, car, etc.?

When sitting i think the body is positioned in a way that it pinches off the urethra. Not totally sure, but I have noticed the same thing for sitting. If I'm sitting driving the moment we stop, and I get out of the car it all just releases in a gush.

I wear heavy overnight Tena pull up diapers. Yeah; if I do happen to somehow wet when on my side I seem to always leak out the leg gathers.

There really aren't any good disposable for side sleeping. I sleep on my back or stomach so I haven't ever experienced that issue. The only thing I have heard that is good for side sleeping is cloth products.

side sleeping is a big challenge for most tape-on disposable diapers snd even worse for pullups if you're a side sleeper and a heavy wetter you're going to want a heavy night and diaper I would highly recommend something with plastic baking like a Mega max or a better dry and possibly some plastic pants or go to cloth diapers with a waterproof cover or with pull-ups you can't adjust the fit around your legs and all there is on the sides is some material which offers no protection you may as well wrap a piece of paper around your side it would be about the same side protection which is none

I’m largely (like 99% of the time) a side sleeper so I can accommodate my lumbar pain. As a female, I wear pull-ups and don’t get leaks. But I can imagine how a man might.

I put protection on my bed so that even when I leak when I sleep on my side, the sheets stay clean. I get cheap products through Medicaid so I am resigned to leaking.

I would suggest getting out of the pull ups and using an actual diaper. Obviously the pull up isn’t working.

Would pads at the lower leg opening work? They might bulk out the diaper and tighten the opening? I was on my back when having to use diapers - my normal is side-sleeping, too. Side to avoid pain. I've wondered, since, if the opiates relieved pain, but were part of the problem, too.

I'm a side-sleeper and wear a pad-and-net-pants combination at night as this is all that is provided by my local continence service.
This offers no side-protection at all and the pad leaks freely every night. I deal with this by stuffing cloth inserts into the sides of the net pants to absorb some of the overflow and I wear plastic pants over the top. I also have a bed pad for extra security.
This works well enough. I usually only leak through to the bed pad twice a week. Three times at most.

It is hard not to get angry at our so-called health care system. Indeed, it's very very easy. We shouldn't have to sweat every bill, and have to call the "insurance company" to see if we have enough visits left to get a full course of treatment. Or buy all the antibioltics for a full course (that's how antibiotic-resistant strains develop). I could go on. I'd get depressed, and I've used up my anti-depression meds (no refills left). They don't make a pill for "anger at politicians", darn it.
"I Want You! To Stop Voting For Idiots!"

Interesting topic - purely anecdotal and not sure about the science but I wet the bed every night up until the age of 10 and then intermittently until my mid teens. Generally as a kid I slept fully on my front or my back. The incidents in my teens happened whenever I went to sleep on my back. I then opted to never sleep on my back again and took to side sleeping (also had neck issues which changed my main sleeping position from front to side) and didn't have an issue.

Nowadays, in spite of my really bad bladder issues the bedwetting hasn't returned properly. However, in the morning when I get myself out of bed (have to do it in stages due to physical disability)- if I shift from my side position to my back or sitting I'll void before making it to the toilet much more than on my side. Think bladder position probably does play a role.

Agree with disposables offering no real side protection - never leaked as a kid (probably because I didn't sleep on my side) but if I wet first thing before I can shift position then a leak's inevitable even with crazily high capacity nappies. When I sleep away from home I wear towelling lined plastic pants but they've leaked on me as well. Wonder whether an adult swim nappy would work as a good cover.

Op asked about position leaks but thread turned into diaper discussion...

Oh well. Same here. Sitting still, lying on side sometimes back can accumulate in bladder. Weird how side allows this.

When I sleep on my side it seems to stop and cutoff my flow of urine. Maybe because I have my legs tightly together. However; sleeping on my back lets my bladder release whenever it feels the need to.

the problem is side sleeping is a challenge for any diaper

Nocontrol said:
Op asked about position leaks but thread turned into diaper discussion...

Oh well. Same here. Sitting still, lying on side sometimes back can accumulate in bladder. Weird how side allows this.