Plastic pants/diaper cover questions

Archives1

Staff member
I wanted to see if any of you can help me with plastic pants.
This is a night time bed only question. I am doing ok with my daytime protection.
When I am away from home, Particular 2 places I go, there is a need for both more discretion with the same level of protection. I usually wear plastic backed diapers at home and most places I go. But...any of you that wear plastic backed diapers know the protection is great, at the cost of discretion. On the other hand pullups are quiet but protection is sacrificed. So.. get to the point right?
My "great" plan was to wear high capacity pullups with plastic pants over top. I purchased technically vinyl covers. They are for the most part quiet. Here's the problem I have that maybe you that use diapers covers regularly can help me with.
They work great, the pullups almost always leak for me and the diaper cover catches the leak but....now I have unabsorbed liquid in the plastic pants, so when I take them off, 2 issues arise #1 sometimes that liquid "dumps out" before I have them off. This is even while trying to be as deliberate in my movements as possible. #2 even if they do come off without spilling I have to figure out a way to dry them.
So what am I missing? What's the trick to using plastic diaper covers? Or are they just an old school way that has stuck around?
Thanks in advance for your help.

I wear a pair if cloth underwear over the diaper and under the plastic pants to catch that. I prefer shaping panties to help hold things up. Have you tried a regular diaper instead of the pull up in combination with the plastic pants? That is my daily work wear as a pull up would never last the day

I use Terry cloth lined plastic pants from babykins. The Terry cloth absorbs whatever leaks out into the pant. Just get high backed ones, and if you are close to the top end of one size you might wanna get the next one up. Example I normally wear medium everything. However I am apparently at the top end of their medium sizing. I can't comfortably fit into the medium Terry lined pants. They are just a bit too tight. They are also noiseless from my experience. Also I tend to wear the plastic backed diapers and with these I don't notice any real noise.

My experience with pull-ups and plastic or PUL pants has not been great. The challenge is two fold, first the body of the pull-up is not absorbent. Thus, perspiration passes through to the water proof pant. Secondly, pull-ups, regardless of their absorbency level, have the absorbent material concentrated in a fairly small zone. I think this severely limits their ability to handle larger releases of urine. They do pretty well with drips and small leaks but larger voids are a problem.

When I need the discretion that a pull-up provides I add a Depend Guard to the pull-up. I try to change the guard regularly thus extending the life of the pull-up. I have given up wearing PUL or plastic pants over pull-ups.

Another option is a thinner plastic backed diaper. NorthShore and BetterDry both have thinner plastic backed diapers. Sized correctly, they can be almost undetectable under most clothing.

Hi Tim, sounds like your pull up isn't absorbing urine quick enough so best to wear a diaper with plastic pants and that should work for you.

Tim,
A bad night's sleep is no fun... A story I've told before that you have probably missed: In my case, I'm a reliable leaker; I leak all day and to a lesser degree every night. I've solved my issue, not with any device that is presently on the market, but with a soft silicone device that my engineer partner and I have developed over the last five years and have filed a patent on, though not yet for sale. (see picture with my profile.) I would be happy to include you in our final test group and forward one for you to try. I often wear mine up to 22 hours in a day, particularly if I have hydrated in the evening. Because it is of flexible material, it is to be used with a backup liner for the occasional moments of stress leakage during the day. Let me know if you would like more info. Best wishes. Fynlee
Send to: amhelp@comcast.net

ok as I said before There are about as many different styles of plastic pants as there are diapers

if you're having nighttime leakage with your disposable diapers where are you leaking more? if it's around the legs you could try bloomer-style plastic pant which is basically plastic pants with longer legs some can down to the knees, if your leakage is around the waistline you could go for a plastic pants with a high waist or a high rise

there is another product available to help with leakage but it is fairly expensive it's called PROTECBriefs https://www.protecbriefs.com/products/adult-protecbriefs
4d2ae789367058cdb48e83184e1e13f1.jpg

@Tim You can probably get away with using pull-ups with plastic or polyurethane pants, but you'll have to get the sturdiest pull-ups on the market. I have done this with Northshore Go Supremes--those plus polyurethane pants used to be my overnight protection, until I started having to use diapers. Definitely give it a try.