Pinning cloth diapers

Archives1

Staff member
I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this question, but I'm finding it difficult to keep my night time cloth diapers tight. By the end of the morning, I could take them off without unpinning them...especially if they are wet. Is there a right way to pin on a cloth diaper to keep it snug? This is becoming a little frustrating. I use cloth at night to save a few $$$.

I don't mean to make light of this, but after reading your post earlier today, I kept thinking that this could be an opportunity for someone, perhaps you? I wear sweat pants as pajamas and these have a drawstring to tie as tightly as the wearer likes. Could this idea be adapted to an incontinence brief, having 2 such strings- on the sides, or instead of the typical diaper style, as a cloth pull up that ties at the front? Even if a seamstress or tailor could be contracted to create this for individuals who would be buying them for their own use, I suspect they would have an easily designed, and quickly made product line and a revenue generating source.

I use to have the same problem, using diaper pins on my night time cloth diapers. Then I discovered Snappi's. They are a game changer. Be sure to order extra large in size, use one on each side of the diaper instead of pins. They can be adjusted with ease, and keep the diaper nice and snug all night long. Good luck.....

Dave, where did you get your Snappi diaper fasteners? I find them on Amazon, but only for toddler size. I want to make sure I get the right size. Thanks for your advice and suggestion.
Dennis

@Damp I second @Dave 's post. I found the cloth stretched over time and the elasticity of the Snappi or other similar fasteners kept tension around the waist.

You didn't mention the type of waterproof cover you use, a wrap like cover may help keep the diaper snug against your body.

ABZ fasteners work well, the Ecoables diaper cover works well. Be sure to tuck everything past the leak guards. The Ecoables cover really helps support the diaper too so the fasteners aren’t doing all the work.

Damp said:
I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this question, but I'm finding it difficult to keep my night time cloth diapers tight. By the end of the morning, I could take them off without unpinning them...especially if they are wet. Is there a right way to pin on a cloth diaper to keep it snug? This is becoming a little frustrating. I use cloth at night to save a few $$$.

I use cloth diapers too. How do you pin them on? Are your diaper pins going vertical or sideways? If the pins are in sideways, the diaper fabric can slide on the pins and loosen up. If the pins are in vertical, the diaper can't slide sideways. Of course, the diaper fabric DOES loosen up a bit when it's wet.

I pin vertically and pull them pretty tight around legs and waist. I’ve worn these my whole life at night so by age 13 and after I have been very good at getting them snug. Yes their pretty droopy in the morning when wet but remain pretty secure around my waist.

Btw snappies do work very well and unlike pins they are far easier to adjust/tighten a wet diaper than trying to pin through wet cloth.

I know this post is from some time ago, but I have been using more cloth diapers now that I’m retired on a more limited budget.
I’m also fortunate that my wife is a great seamstress or sews.
She has been making diapers for me.
I pin mostly vertical.
See my profile for pics. The ones my wife make fit really well and fairly tight.
My plastic pants hold them firm against my body.
My folding and pinning method

90af48b27978e3cddf5812eca2778c2b.jpg
f75259d5477ea4951627a385c777be29.jpg
ba5c449c615143deae9eef2afcee17c0.jpg
c7251b7f74c6af4ab4ac180b48e2d5c7.jpg
9445ec11c16a68667ef9eadd67d35039.jpg