Physical therapy update.

Archives1

Staff member
Pt is a big WTH on why I was denied social security as well as wants me to ask big question about the sacral neuromodulator trial. Pt said I should not have to wait until February to get the trial done because it is non-invasive because it doesn't include actual surgery. So I have some phone calls to make tomorrow.

social security is almost always a battle I was one of the few fortunate ones I hops your phone calls go well good luck

ThatFLGuy, Based on the first sacral neuromodulator I had, the surgeon will have to probe in your lower back area to find the nerve that the device's wire lead will be connected to. My point is, I would consider it surgery. From the date of my last urologist appointment until the day I can have the surgery, I will have to wait about a month. Part of this has to do with COVID making it hard to get volunteer surgery scheduled. That may be the reason for you having to wait until February.

@DPCARE

I am going to see a different PCP on Monday. Even the nurse for my current PCP is like WTH. There is enough data in my files to show that there is no way I can do anything for work right now or anytime in the near future.

As going to get a spot on the back of my left knee looked at as it is not going away.

Sacral Nerve Stimulator - What exactly does it do? What are its benefits? How does it work? Is it for both men & women? Just read about it today. Is it still in the experimental phase? Is it covered by insurance? Thank you.

A SNS sends a mild electrical pulse to the nerve in your lower back that tells your brain/bladder it's time to pee and usually allows enough time to do so. It helps with urgency and incontinence, including fecal incontinence. Depending on the person it can be helpful 50% of the time, maybe more, possibly less. It works for both men and women. It is done in a two-stage process. First, a temporary lead is placed and connected to an external device. That will be evaluated with a bladder diary for about 7 days. If the device helps reduce urgency, a permanent device will be implanted. It has been in use for almost 25 years. I have medicare and it is covered by that.

This Youtube video might be helpful:

After about 5 years Medtronic's Interstim device needs to have the battery replaced. This means a minor surgery to remove the original battery, usually from the buttock.

There is another brand that allows its batteries to be charged and will work for about 15 years. It is made by Axion that you can look into.

Hope this helps, pegasi99.

@fleemoore Did it hurt to get the trial then, if you’re not in surgery for that probing? What do they use to probe? 😬 A stimulator wouldn’t help me do it hasn’t been offered, but I’m still curious about the process.

snow said:
@fleemoore Did it hurt to get the trial then, if you’re not in surgery for that probing? What do they use to probe? 😬 A stimulator wouldn’t help me do it hasn’t been offered, but I’m still curious about the process.

Snow, I was under general anesthesia for the trial so there was no pain during the procedure, but after the procedure, I was uncomfortable with the areas where he probed to find the correct nerve to "connect" the lead to. The surgeon had to probe to find the nerve that would make my foot twitch. To do that I had about seven places in my lower back where he did the probing. On Wednesday the new device will be placed in my left buttock after the old one is removed from my right cheek. Plus the old lead needs to be removed which I'm told is tricky because it kind of stays in place with what the surgeon called "fish hooks."