Pessary Ring

Archives1

Staff member
I got a pessary ring. The thing does reduce my leaks because some of my retention is from urine staying in the prolapsed area. Push the prolapse forward with the pessary and now my pads are drier in between.
To insert it wash hands, put gel all over it, pinch the ring with the bump toward the top, lay down, take deep breaths, relax, and push it up into the vagina, let go of it. It should stay in place. You should be able to pee.
If it falls out it is too small. If you cannot pee it may be too large unless you have some sort of other obstruction.
You dont need expensive gels. Dollar store KY type gel works just fine for easier insertion for one dollar.
Notify healthcare or take it out before any MRI.

I'm dealing with a pessary which was inserted by the doctor. It's apparently not the correct size because it has misplaced itself and every single time I stand up I leak and have to go straight to the bathroom and change my Depends. I try to stay seated as much as I possibly can but I still use about 8 to 10 Depends a day! My next appointment is Monday and I'm not leaving without learning how to take the pessary out and put it back in. Ordinarily I would have gone back to the doctor before now but I have to depend on my daughter to drive me and she has to schedule her work, etc. I'm hoping the pessary will work for me because I am 80 years old and surgery sounds risky. I'm ordering Depends by the big box load from Walmart weekly!

Depending on how much you are wetting you can try the pad and pants system. You put a pad in the pull-up, and then just switch out the pad when you wet. The pull-up is there as a back up. If you are wetting a large amount, you might plan on expecting the accidents and go with a diaper that can handle multiple wettings.