Pelvic Floor PT

Archives1

Staff member
My urologist isn't satisfied with my progress 7 months post RALP and so is recommending PT for me. Has anyone been through Pelvic Floor PT? Can you describe what I will be facing? I've done Kegels to the point where I am able to do them in my sleep, so there must be something more that I am missing.

Yes I went for a pt evaluation Prior to my RP. The therapist gave thorough instructions on kegals as well as a rectal exam to evaluate your muscle strength in the pelvic floor. Then we met weekly post op for 6-8 week’s doing various approaches to strengthening the muscles in the pelvic floor. I can also tell you that walking is another excellent way to strengthen your pelvic floor per members of the prostate cancer group I belong to.
Having said that I was ultimately unsuccessful in regaining continence 14 months post op. I’m now 2 months post AUS surgery and for the most part happy with the results.
Good luck to you
Boomer59

I went into Pelvic Floor PT over a year after surgery. It wasn't as rewarding as if I'd gone in right away, but I'd had complications.

My therapist was superb, and I do think it was helpful. Kegels, yes; but using biofeedback and other tools opened up some helpful "tricks." Plus they can measure how strong your muscles are, and whether you're using them all. If you get as good a PT as I had, it's definitely worth it.

I'm going thru Pelvic Floor P.T. again, for about the 6th time. Am determined to retain what I learn this time & to develop a daily routine. Perhaps even purchase a biofeedback unit for home use. Have real problem with Fecal Icontinence. My G.I. doctor referred me for the Pelvic Floor P.T. in the hope it would help with the F.I. Having recurrent U.T.I.s due to F.I., I believe. Taking Macrobid for 5 days not cutting it! My Urogynecologist considering a prophylactic course of antibiotics. Has anyone else been on this antibiotic treatment? TY.

This is the best thing you can do. I will echo that the therapist is key to success. Mine was excellent and you should try to find a strong recommendation when choosing one. Of course the best ones are hard to get scheduled with. Mine did take some time off and I had a substitute. After one session with her I cancelled my appointments with her and waited for the original therapist return. Good luck!

I didn’t have any surgeries for my prostate, but when they had me doing PT some of the exercises were same.
Walking.
Kegels.
Laying flat on floor and holding the small of your back against the floor for 10 second intervals.
Standing with your back against the wall and your feet slightly off the wall, doing squats sliding up and down. Simultaneously doing a kegel.
I think this was to strengthen your core and pelvic floor naturally working together.
It was Many years ago. Insurance only covered so much.

For women especially: I'm happy I saw a physical therapist, but I also like an online PT who takes a broader view about strengthening -- and relaxing -- additional muscles that affect the pelvic floor. Her name is Dr. Brianne Grogan, aka Dr. Bri (A PhD phys. therapist). She makes the exercises more fun, too, and she has MANY free videos available on her YouTube channel and website

https://www.youtube.com/user/femfusionfitness and https://www.vibrantpelvichealth.com/

There are exercises there for men, too. I get so bored doing the tighten-for-ten-seconds and release-for-ten-seconds kegels, so it's fun to try her dance moves and yoga poses that work the core and beyond. That said, while I'm seeing improvement, I haven't overcome incontinence yet.

I have been doing pt since my surgery last September, wish I would have been more serious about it before surgery. Mine is 30 minutes twice a week on a machine sending pulses about every 30 seconds or so. I would not trade the progress from the pt for anything in the world. Insurance covers some but not all. Most who are going to my therapist are dry within six months. They call me their special case because my recovery has taken longer. Keagals are the key between pt. The other things I learned from the therapist are eating right and most importantly, and the hardest to learn is drink plenty of water. Hang in there and good luck