Overactive bladder do to back injury

Archives1

Staff member
Hello new here.
I currently have oab due to a low back injury.
The onset of oab this is new to me.
I injured my Back about 10 years ago
And then recently about 6 months ago
I had the urge to urinate even after going.
This issue lasts about a week straight than is gone.
Currently I'm taking oxybutynin 5 mg whenever this flares up almost every 10 week's it seems.
My diagnoses from my doctor
L4-l5 moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis l5-s1 bulging disc.
I wish my issue would never come back

I just had an MRI of my lower back yesterday, I am awaiting the new results. Previously, I was diagnosed with herniated discs in the area around L3-L4-L5 and have had issues since before this was originally diagnosed. From my experience,it can be very painful and cause discomfort and issues in the pelvic area as well. I am also in the process of getting tested to see how much damage has been done due to autonomic neuropathy due to diabetes. It is most likely what has caused my bladder incontinence whereas the lower back problems has caused some issues with bowel in the past.

Izthewiz said:
Hello
Thanks for response.
How old were you when you first had this issue? I'm only 37
I was in my 30's when i got the herniated discs. The bladder incontinence was more recent, in my 40's.

@Izthewiz I had a herniated disc at age 35. My urology problems started soon after, due to OAB. It was mild to start with, but got much worse after prostate and bladder surgery at age 54. I have tried loads of things and am now padded 24/7 and am waiting to try sacral nerve modulation. Feel free to pm me if you want to know more, cheers Phil

I have nocturnal polyuria due to a “catastrophic” snowboarding injury when I landed on a rock spire on my butt, going 25 mph, then fell 20 feet down that cliff. I was 35 then. I’m 43 now. On top of the damaged L1-S1 discs I’ve had to learn to cope with, within six months of the fall, I had almost no nighttime bladder control. It happened just two weeks after separating from my ex-husband. It’s been a lonnnnggggg few years and I still don’t feel “normal” because so much energy is consumed by these medical issues and extra insomnia. I recently dared to date somebody who actually didn’t mind, because I was careful and didn’t pee on him. I’m relieved he didn’t reject me for it and that I could be honest about it with him at the outset. Eight years ago I certainly wouldn’t have dared to even try. So there is some hope. You will develop routines. You’ll find what works best for you. By the way, Oxybutynin makes me have to urinate a lot more during the day, so I’ve stopped taking it. You may have better results with Myrbetriq. It didn’t do much for me, either, because my problems are injury-based. I hope this helps.

I tried the merbetrik for a while but went back to oxybutinin and then finally tried the Botox which has been pretty good so I may try it again. The urologist wants to do the interstim next but I can’t afford that.

snow said:
I have nocturnal polyuria due to a “catastrophic” snowboarding injury when I landed on a rock spire on my butt, going 25 mph, then fell 20 feet down that cliff. I was 35 then. I’m 43 now. On top of the damaged L1-S1 discs I’ve had to learn to cope with, within six months of the fall, I had almost no nighttime bladder control. It happened just two weeks after separating from my ex-husband. It’s been a lonnnnggggg few years and I still don’t feel “normal” because so much energy is consumed by these medical issues and extra insomnia. I recently dared to date somebody who actually didn’t mind, because I was careful and didn’t pee on him. I’m relieved he didn’t reject me for it and that I could be honest about it with him at the outset. Eight years ago I certainly wouldn’t have dared to even try. So there is some hope. You will develop routines. You’ll find what works best for you. By the way, Oxybutynin makes me have to urinate a lot more during the day, so I’ve stopped taking it. You may have better results with Myrbetriq. It didn’t do much for me, either, because my problems are injury-based. I hope this helps.

Thanks for reply.
At anytime did your provider discusse surgery as an option?
My doctor doesn't think back surgery is a good option and Im thinking
I can deal with this oab happening every 10 weeks or so with my nerves flaring up.

jrpoorman said:
I tried the merbetrik for a while but went back to oxybutinin and then finally tried the Botox which has been pretty good so I may try it again. The urologist wants to do the interstim next but I can’t afford that.

Hi if I may ask?
What caused your oab?

Wrecked motorcycle when I was younger, diabetes, neuropathy, neurogenic bladder, falling apart but still covid-19 free so life is good😊

Botox has absolutely been the best treatment for me. I’m waiting as long as possible to have back surgery.

What would be defined as oab?
On most days I go between 4-8 times
But what sets this apart is I feel the urge to urinate again sooner than later like within a hour and I'm a male the tip of shaft feels like it maybe moist or leaking and I check and nothing there?
Yesterday I kept a log of what I drank
2 vitamin water,2 diet sprite and 1 bottle of water so 60oz of liquid for the day.

@Izthewiz I don't know if there is a definition based on urinations per day. The feelings you describe sound like me several years ago. I was formally diagnosed after having urodynamics. This showed sudden peaks in bladder pressure shortly followed by a leak. For me I can have several spasms per hour and leak a small bit each time or I might go for a couple of hours, have a sudden spasm and everything in my bladder comes out in one go. Sometimes I manage to self cath before full bladder loss, but much of the time particularly at work I have to use tape ups and just let it flow. Cheers Phil

@physlink
With your issue does it ever cause
Bladder discomfort?
Like bladder spasms also?
My recent mri taken 3 days ago shows
3 bulging discs so I'm just trying to understand this.
Thank you

@Izthewiz yes I do get bladder discomfort. I'm not sure I would call it pain, I'm just aware of it playing up much of the time. My ruptured disc was a long time ago now, but I do still get pain in my hip, down the back of my leg and get a lot of muscle twitching. I have asked various doctors about the links between my various problems, but I haven't got anywhere. I suspect that the truth is that medicine has made great advances but there is still a lot that isn't understood. Cheers Phil

@physlink
Thank you for being helpful
This issue has been exhausting
I've read as much medical literature
And my doctor agrees with my urologist about nerve compressed can cause this.
I'm ok like I said taking the medicine for oab but hard to accept I'm 37 and suffering from this.

I Get my appointment over the phone
With urologist today.
He noted something last time about
Alpha blockers as a possible treatment.
I think I'll ask him about this as
My psa came back low 0.69