opinions on pull ups with diaper cover

Archives1

Staff member
I will be away for 3 nights in a remote area with a few friends. I wet the bed basically every night. I cannot go with out protection. Because of the shared space I am trying to get away without announcing I am a bed wetter. I wear plastic backed tape on diapers and have very few leaks in the course of a year. There is no way I can put on, wear and take off my normal diaper with out everyone knowing. I have used high absorbency pull ups when on long drives or times I know I cannot get to a bathroom but even the "best" pull up leaks for me at night. My questions are: I have been looking at diaper covers to put over a pull up. (1) covers don't appear to have absorbency built into them so when I leak the plastic keeps the leak from coming out into the bed but what happens when I get up and change? Does urine run out of it? It would seem to me if fluid is caught but not absorbed it will be released when trying to step out. (2) what do the plastic diaper covers sound like? If they are crinkly then I may as well wear my normal diaper. I will be wearing shorts or something similar to bed. Enough to quite a plastic cover?
The problem I feel I'm caught with is, there's not enough "private" space to keep the sound from letting everyone know my issues but then if my bed is wet or I make a mess on the floor everyone knows anyhow? :(
Any thoughts/experiences would be much appreciated.

Hey there, Tim. I say you roll the dice and wear a diaper cover or plastic pants over a pull-up. You could even try wearing two pull-ups under a diaper cover - with a booster inside. That should likely give you enough protection unless you really soak yourself overnight.

The other option is to simply come clean and let your friends know ahead of time. I realize that may be difficult, but it may not be the big deal you think it is. And I can guarantee you, you'll sleep much better.

Good luck!! Where are you going to be camping, by by the way?

Thanks SoCalDude. I never thought of doubling up. I would imagine the "inside" one would have to be cut or sliced in some form to allow it to "bleed" into the outer one?
Freinds of ours have a place in north/central PA 1/2 hr 45min from the PA grand canyon.

Tim:
I have been in exactly the situation you describe several times and here is what I've done. I'll use a premium pull-up like an Abena Abri-Flex or a Molicare Mobile with a folded cotton pad insert. The pad I use is actually a Walmart Flour Sack Towel (10 for $7.88) which I fold multiple times to form a multi-layer pad which fits between the standing leak guards of the pull-up. I do add a PUL (PolyUrethane Laminate) pant over everything as insurance, but I've never had a significant leak with this combination. Be sure to take a few plastic shopping bags with you so you can put the wet pads and pull-up into it in the morning. Hopefully you will be able to find a way to dispose of the bag without drawing any attention.

Try it at home first to see if it meets your needs. If you go with a pull-up, get a good quality one, like Northshore Go Supreme. A good diaper cover Will help.

I would go with a diaper cover and wear a good quality pull-up, as well. For added insurance, maybe a booster pad or two. They have good ones at North Shore and they will help you choose a good size for you.
I was wondering after I read your post....how good friends are these friends you're going camping with? I like SoCalDude's suggestion to just come clean and tell these guys what's going on with you. If you've known them for most of your life it probably won't be that big a deal. But if they are just casual friends then I would try to be more discrete. Or just try for some humor in explaining your situation. You probably have a good idea of how to "read" those guys to gauge their reactions. And for all you know, maybe one or two of those friends may have similar issues! One just never knows about these things! Good luck and enjoy your trip in the woods!:D

You can find diaper covers that have a cloth liner built in. I've experimented with several different products over the last couple years, trying to find the best combo that will work for me. There "covers" that are actually a pull-on plastic pant, with terry cloth lining or flannel lining sewn in. I've also seen the pant made out of a waterproof nylon or polyester, instead of a plastic outer layer. Also, pants that wrap around and attach at the sides with velcro or snaps are available too. The problem with using these products is if your diaper leaks a little, the liner in the pant will get wet. It's not a problem when you're home and can wash them, but on a 3 night trip, it will start to smell.

When we travel, (Like our recent 2 week vacation..) I use a disposable diaper like Confidry 24/7 and add an absorbent "doubler pad" inside that. with a pair of waterproof pants over that, I have not had a problem. Actually, I used the Confidry diapers in the daytime too, since we drove over 3,000 miles and there were several areas where the rest stops were closed due to the Covid.

I can relate to this. I've been in diapers 24/7 for a mixture of urge, overflow and IBS issues since the beginning of the year and whilst my mum knows about it which makes life at home easy in terms of wearing, disposal etc. I had to spend time with my father and his partner who don't know about my issues (and I didn't want knowing). At first I went back to using guards and pull ups for the reasons you outlined but quickly remembered why I stopped using them.

The second time I went to their place I decided to bite the bullet and wear my regular protection (with some really high capacity plastic products for travelling) and neither of them appeared to notice, even when I was just in my pyjamas. My advice is to wear really baggy t shirts which cover the crotch area so no one notices any bulk and for plastic products, I've found that putting some boxer-briefs over the top really lessens the noise. I put aside a section of my rucksack purely for my supplies which I kept a travel padlock on and whilst I think my father's partner was surprised at how much I'd packed for a quick stay over nothing was said.

In terms of coverings, I've started using plastic pants since my issues have gotten worse which I've found really helpful. They're not absorbent so it's literally just another barrier but the upside is that if they do get wet, they're very quick to wash (and dry). They can leak though and I've had mine leak slightly so it's something to be aware of.

The biggest issue I've had when trying to be really discreet is disposing of products. My solution was to bag them up and then put them in bins when I was out and about.

Superundies.com
Get the protective pant and 3 inserts. One for each night and a pail to put them in. I recommend the boosters as well. You can rinse the pant out in the sink. Have fun!

Side note: I prefer the all in one night pant, but the absorbent part is built in and you would need to wash them every night. The protective brief does have side gussets.

I really appreciate the responses. Update on what seems to be the way I am going to go. For some reason I never thought of wearing 2 briefs together. I know there are booster pads available but it just never crossed my mind until someone mentioned it. I did a "test drive" over the weekend. My day time pull ups are Prevail for men overnight absorbency. My "heavier" pull ups are at this moment north shore supreme. I took the prevail while still folded and made 4 slices from top to bottom spaced across the padded area on both the front and back. Obviously put these on 1st. Then over top wore the north shore. Because both of these are cloth backed I was unable to hear anything walking around. With the combination of the 2 there is a little more bulk then my tape on diapers.Probably not much but a different feel. I went this route because it uses what is already on hand (easy). The good news is no leaks. My plan is to try it a few more times to gain confidence. I will note I felt more wet then with my diaper but nothing that was unbearable. I also think I detected more odor again nothing overbearing but it is one of a few reasons I like plastic backing. Thanks again for the ideas.

Glad you found something that works for you. Have you considered using a booster pad in the pullup. It may work for you too and is a little less bulky

I learned the hard way that you have to be really careful who you share your condition with, when I was open with several of my longest-running friends, who no longer invite me to stay at their homes, even though when I share that I wear diapers, I also share how many disposable bed pads I use to protect a bed, so they don’t worry. I think they don’t want to chance that I’ll wet their beds, and I don’t blame them.

Even so, Snow, I'm sorry to hear that. After all, you're being pro-active and there is nothing wrong with that. That is showing consideration, something the world needs more of, these days.

Snow
In line with what you experienced, here's what my concerns are. I'm not sure if it would lead to not being invited back this particular trip is a primitive cabin in the state forest. but.... who puts the genie back in the bottle once it's out? It seems the older I get the more "acquaintance" friends I have and the fewer "real" friends I have. This guy knows this guy that knows that guy which leads to a group doing things of common interests. I would rather try to keep the genie in the bottle, than take a chance on 3 good wishes if you catch my drift. (course if I did have a genie in a bottle my 1st wish would be for unlimited wishes!:D)
Maybe its a trust issue but still....What is said and heard cannot be taken back.

Tim, that is especially true and I like the "genie in the bottle" reference! I know exactly what you mean about getting older and your friends are more of the "acquaintance" type than they are the "real friends." I'm in that same boat myself. Based on what you said and what you said about the make-up of these friends going to the cabin, if I were you, I'd try to keep that genie in the bottle, as it were. If for some reason your particular situation gets out, then hopefully these guys are mature enough to realize that as people age our body functions can, well, malfunction! Hope the trip goes without a hitch! Please let us know.

23andpee said:
I've never heard of diaper covers. How do they work?
They are what is normally called "plastic pants". The material is waterproof so if the disposable diaper leaks or cloth diaper is saturated moisture won't be transferred to clothing or furniture. That said they generally won't contain a full fluid leak since the elastic seal around the legs isn't 100% water-tight.