operation for prostate removal

Archives1

Staff member
Just been in touch with the ulogist nurse and she said that if a peron is totally incontinence after the procedure it is becausr the surgeon has damaged the last remaining sphincter muscle that he attaches to the bladder, if that was the case could you get back to the surgeon for redress?

Grseme,

First and foremost I am not a qualified medical or legal professional. While the urologist nurse is a qualified medical professional within her area of expertise I would look at her advice as her personal opinion and not for grounds for a law suit.

You don't say how long post surgery you are which would be relevant in determining how your post surgery recovery is progressing. Assuming you have little to no bladder control without some recovery and you are months after surgery then your best course of action is to seek a second and even a third opinion on your prognosis.

If you are confident that the reason for your incontinence is due to a medical procedure error then seek out a lawyer who specializes in medical malpractice.

If you are using the term "redress" to conduct a follow up surgery to attach the sphincter muscle then my recommendation to seek a second and even a third opinion applies.

Good luck,
Greensleeves

@grseme

Unfortunately the odds are pretty good that if you do have permanent damage to your internal sphincter (the one that is at the bladder neck), then you will have some degree of incontinence. I don't believe there is any surgical procedure to repair this sphincter, at least as far as eliminating incontinence. It could be that your surgeon didn't damage the sphincter as much as he removed part of it to make sure he got all the cancer. Unless he did a video of the surgery I would think it hard to get an award for damages, as who's to say exactly how much of your prostate & surrounding tissue had to be removed to get all the cancer?

hi folks just reading your post regarding incontinence i had my prostrate removed by the da vinci method and that left me slightly incontinent and i have to wear pads but i do try to go without if poss they told me before i went under that i might be a little incontinent so they sort of cleared themselves

I had a hour long consultation with my urologist (surgeon). He stated many worst case scenarios. Further he wrote in length in the visit follow-up notes. I printed it out and wrote "Holy Shit" on it. He is covered in pointing out all the things that could possible be the worst out comes. He also stated that his only concern was to remove the cancer.

@grseme You will need to show that you have been doing at least quarterly (if not every 8 weeks) follow up visits as well as working with a physical therapist that specializes in Kegel (pelvic floor) exercises. You would need to keep a log and weigh your incontinence products before and after.

Basically, in the US, there is not cause for a case.