Night Alarms?

Archives1

Staff member
The Urologist wants to attempt another try at connecting brain to bladder through medication and a night alarm or pad. They are trying see if his system has matured at all since last attempt but he is now 17 and this is our last round of medication and alarm pairing to see if things have improved in the connection department. What alarms have you used that have helped or work better than others? In our experience, the sensor in the underwear is not consistent and with the movement at night, it gets detached or not in the right spot to sense urine; the pads go off with sweat or give a lot of false alarms and are hard to dry after wetting... but am hoping you all have some ideas or brands that work great... He is a deep sleeper and makes too much urine... hates diapers...

Never used an alarm, but I've seen lots available. It's worth a shot. It sounds like this is for your son, and I know how teenagers are, but talk with him and let you know you don't blame him or look down at him, but let him know it's just a medical issue and not a character issue.

We used the original Wet Stop alarm with our 8 year old daughter and it worked well. I put underwear on her and clipped on the alarm, then put a diaper on top so i wouldn't have to clean up any messes. This sensor doesn't have pads, just copper so it dries very easily.
Because he is a boy things do get trickier. Maybe he could use something like a self-adhesive cohesive bandage to wrap his manliness in, then clip the sensor to the bandage so that when things move around at night the sensor is always on the right spot. Just a thought. Good luck!

you got that right diapers are just another type of underwear

Squander said:
Never used an alarm, but I've seen lots available. It's worth a shot. It sounds like this is for your son, and I know how teenagers are, but talk with him and let you know you don't blame him or look down at him, but let him know it's just a medical issue and not a character issue.

Alarms are not usually recommended. In the beginning, they can wake up the whole household. Can also be very pricey. I currently use cloth diapers and plastic pants purchased from Fetware.com. reasonably priced and fast service. Six overnight diapers along with 3 pair plastic pants are similar in price as one alarm and sensor. Hope this helps. With proper care, diapers and pants should last for years.

I would keep trying different alarms until you find a brand and model that work. I've heard that overall, for guys, alarms only work - meaning cure bedwetting - about 20-25 percent of the time, but those still aren't bad odds! It's definitely worth trying as many types as you can before you and/or he decide to move on and try something else. Good luck!!

Assuming the doctors have ruled out other conditions, an alarm at least signals a family effort to try and stop the wetting. That emotional support (which I clearly recall)is very positive for the wetter. The Bedwetting Store (just Google it) seems to have quite a variety of alarms (both silent and audible) that may be worth trying. I never had much luck with them, but at the time the options were awful.

I started in my mid 30s...out of the blue. It was kind of traumatic for me. The loss of sleep was awful given my high stress job. I tried alarms for a while but they just further interrupted my sleep. I too sweat in my sleep and that caused false alarms. I gave it almost a month and felt like a sleep deprived torture victim by the end of it.

As 33 year old man at the time, trust me, having to face putting a diaper on was almost soul crushing. I tried meds, alarms to no avail. Waking up multiple times per night, wetting multiple times per night. Enough was enough. I've been wearing to bed for over 5 years now and I don't care AT ALL anymore. I sleep through the night fantastically and that alone is SO worth it. I certainly don't like having to use diapers, but I've accepted it and once I did, my life got so much better.

Certainly try everything you can for your 17 year old, but if it's not something that meds or alarms can fix, sooner or later he'll adjust to using protection and he'll realize life goes on.