New to this forum

Archives1

Staff member
Greetings everyone. .
Had radical prostate surgery on Oct 12.
Feeling pretty good except for the incontinence. Cancer had not spread yet to lymph nodes and bones so that’s a good thing.
I’m 74. Walking 1-1/2 miles 3 times/wk. Doing kegels. Not much of a problem when sitting, but let’s loose when I get up. I’m also doing a little better at night. Like an open pipe when it wants to. Dealing with it best I can and hoping for the best. Sooner than later🙄

Denardis, I posted this 2 days ago in response to Cajunfisherman’s inquiries about what he was experiencing.You might want to look at the posts.

*Going on year 4 in 2 months since robotic with 0.01 throughout at 74. No leaks sleeping, but any activity brings it on. If really active, as I usually am, need 1-3 medium pads/day. Able to lift weights and do Vinyasa yoga 5-6/wk - yes need new pad after any of it. If I sit watching tv or using cell, etc., I’m all set. But rise from chair, and I spurt. Still doing keels, particularly while peeing and not holding my breath. Breathing while kegeling is important. Will never know if it’s the kegels or my body trying to learn how to cope. Not willing to do AUS surgery, because too many ifs. ED has been relatively permanent, but did start using Vacurrect device, which is bringing blood flow back to atrophied penis, shortened by the prostatectomy as well. Still enjoying life despite COVID, and hoping for more. My wish, for all of us suffers and guys in future, is for even more precise surgical procedures during prostatectomy sparing of urinary sphincter along with erectile nerves.

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you find some helpful information here. I am not in your situation as I am younger (40) but suffer incontinence thanks to multiple sclerosis for at least 4 years. But honestly it is what it is lol it’s up to the individual to make the most of it and not focusing on woh is me as too many people in my opinion focus on the victim card however it doesn’t help the situation. To change things needs positive and constructive reflection and commitment to change things. Aka hard work. ;)

Denardis I wish you a speedy and thorough recovery and a return back to normal for yourself.

All the best!

Cheers

Jason

Denardis:

I've been lurking here for a while. My surgery was July 23. I am 66. Pretty disappointed at the total lack of control when the catheter was removed. Fairly quickly I was basically dry at night. Pretty good control when sitting (i.e. computer work, watching TV, etc.) I am now about 18 weeks after surgery and am seeing significant improvement. Average 2 pads per day now, and hopefully 1 PPD soon. I mostly lack control when active, such as walking, swimming playing golf, etc. Some people that I know had no problems at all, some are still dealing with it after two years or more. Best that I can tell is that is highly variable and particular to the person. You are still early. Keep the faith and hopefully you will get to a manageable place. I hope to be soon, but am thankful that I am cancer free. I expect to lose my sister to pancreatic cancer in the next few months, so I know what the alternative is.

Denrdis- give it another month or two. After three months you should notice an improvement.

I'm 76 had surgery in July an just a few small spurts now and then. No need for pads.
PSA read at .14 so there's that to be aware of.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for all the comments and support from this forum. There is quite a brotherhood of persons in this same situation. Persons for the most part are upbeat and dealing with it best they can. That’s all we do, but to keep on enjoying life. I look forward to reading comments here. It is to a degree very uplifting. Thanks so much for everyone’s encouraging support. Happy holidays!

My surgery was Oct 6 and I’m in the same condition at 54. I see slight improvement but if I go for a long walk I come back empty. Margins and lymph nodes were clear so I’m thankful for that. Hoping for some major improvement by 3 months, but I’ll enjoy today as it is. Good luck.

I would echo other posts. Keep the faith, everyone's experience is different, and most see improvement over time. I have seen both extremes. My father had barely a dribble after catheter removal, my uncle on the other hand started with zero control after catheter removal. A month after catheter removal he had regained some control, but had issues upon standing if inactive for a period of time. He learned to anticipate and manage, but has not achieved complete dryness. While I knew he had prostate surgery, I never knew he had lasting issues until a few months ago when he found out about my incontinence. He explained how for him the relief of being cancer free made managing the incontinence bearable. In that spirit, I try to remind myself that while managing incontinence is no picnic, my situation could have been much worse and it is possible to keep your situation fairly private.

Best of luck!

Update:
PSA result is now 04 which according to appt yesterday with surgeon is good. No slow up yet with incontinence since Oct 12 PR surgery. however he said to give it another few months. Hoping for the best at 74. Glad however I’m cancer free. He indicated 20% chance of cancer re-occurence.

My doc won’t check PSA for at least 3 months after surgery. Until then there may be some residual PSA, apparently. Incontinence still bad as well, Oct 6 surgery.

My doctor checked PSA on November 7 after a July 23 surgery. Came back as non-detectable (effectively zero.)

Now going into my 20th week, seeing significant improvement. Yesterday was the first day that I did not have to change my pad in 24 hours; made it through on one for the day. Today I was more active so will take at least two.

Keep the faith! Apparently things do improve for most people.

Thought I would give an update on where I am with incontinence 5 months after PR surgery.
To be frank, I’m disappointed. I’m ok at night, getting up when I need to go and doing so normally. I do kegels as often as I can at least 75 or more daily. Not much change during the day. Going thru 4 - 6 pads a day. Beginning to think kegels is just a lot of hype. Sorry to sound disgusted, but this is where I am ☹️. The only plus is I’m rid of the cancer unless it eventually comes back.

I’m 75. Giving an update after PR 10 months ago. I am down to 2 pads a day, sometimes 3, but it’s rare. No issues at night. PSA was .04 3 months after, .05 in another 3 months and most recently .07. Feeling more enthused regarding my incontinence progress. Turned the corner beginning 9 months Post PR. Little concerned about the PSA, but relieved about the incontinence. Feeling good otherwise.