New kind of incontinence.

Archives1

Staff member
I am four and a half months post surgery and was making great progress. (Doing kegels and TENS). Now I have developed urge incontinence and when I go to the bathroom it just trickles. Anyone experienced this? I have an urge about every one and a half to two hours.

You’re very early in the recovery, as everyone will say. What was your reference to “great progress” specifically before your current status. Not to disappoint, but urologist often define male continence, post RRP, as 1-2 pads per day. I’m 6 years out at 76 years, extremely active and need 2-3/day unless I take a day off. Then 1.

@Huck your Dr can suggest drugs to help with this but I found nothing really made a difference early on (< 1yr). It may indicate UTI. Watch that closely. It gets better. Be patient and keep asking questions.

I have OAB (an overactive bladder) and I go about 12 times a day, or once every two hours. So far I have been told there is not much they can do about that. I will be seeing a new urologist shortly.

Suggest you see your urologist to rule out the possibility of the formation of bladder neck stenosis. This happens when scar tissue builds up at the surgical attachment point of the urethra and the bladder neck. The scar tissue buildup can slowly constrict urine flow causing major bladder urge. Typically starts around weeks 10 to 26 after surgery.

@Klew11 were they bladder neck incisions or something else. I have had 3 cystoscopy dilations and 2 irrigated cystoscopy Foley catheter placements. A bladder neck incisions would be next but I have formed a left side hernia of the groin a side effect of the open radical Prostatectomy. A bit frustrating as I am in week 55 since the rp.

@Stormbayguy I had RP followed by radiation. I was blocked from the start, that led to bladder spasms 6 months after surgery/radiation. Urologist blamed the radiation but I’m not sure. After cystoscopy the urologist said he had to go back in a fix bladder neck with laser to open it up. Needed a second one a year later different urologist. Knock on wood. First time hearing about a hernia from RP. How does it happen?

With an open rp the incision of 6 inches to the top of the belly button tends to weaken the abdominal wall muscles and the formation of the scar tissue changes how the abdominal muscle works. No specific event that a can recall lead to the hernia. 😺 Ng up a remote summer cabin is a physical though. Will need surgery with mesh to deal with the issue. Hoping this does not cause issues with any future potential bladder neck requirements.