Needing to buy incontenence supplies when travelling to foreign country

Archives1

Staff member
Does anyone have experience buying pull-ups and diapers when traveling by cruise ship to foreign ports, primarily South Pacific and South America.

I am 75yo male, 10 week post-op, radical robotic prostatectomy. I have no detectable PSA, so a good prognosis. I am still completely urinary incontinent, but have learned to manage it well, with very few mishaps.

I am yearning to take a 3-4 week ocean cruise while we still can. A quick quantity and size calculation reveals that I would need a large suitcase for pull-ups and diapers alone.

Does anyone have any experience with travel like this? Are pull-ups and diapers available in larger foreign cities? Running out of supplies would be a disaster.

Thanks for reading, all experiences and suggestions are welcome!!!

Having traveled abroad for 20+ years for work and being incontinent does take a bit of extra planning. Something I used to do quite often is ship whatever I needed ahead to the hotel. It was especially easy and helpful in Europe, as I would usually start my trip in London then go wherever I needed by train, so much less stressful! I’d get a First Class 30 day pass then I was assured a private space on each train and it took a ton of the headache of airports TSA’s etc. out of the equation.
In your case I would check ahead with whichever cruise line, and just arrange to have them shipped ahead and waiting aboard for you. In the Hospitality industry this is not a rare occasion, especially if you give them a simple explanation you are post-op, but healthy otherwise and would appreciate their assistance. The other thing that saved my butt on a number of occasions was having a couple of male catheters, bags etc. with you just in case. If nothing else it will give you peace of mind that you are covered.
I might mention that this is of course a global issue, and I always carried a pocket translator until I could simply download an app to my phone! Actually Facebook/ Meta just announced they can now translate over 200 languages….
I hope you have a GREAT Trip!

@captainplay

Incontinence supplies are considered medical supplies by cruise ships so you should not be charged extra to take as much as you need with you.

Call the cruise line and ask. They are very used to dealing with people with incontinence.

Also, they can put down a waterproof mattress cover for you that way.

One thing that I shared a bit ago was this Lowes trash can that folds down so you have room to dispose of your stuff. Linked below

captainplay said:
Does anyone have experience buying pull-ups and diapers when traveling by cruise ship to foreign ports, primarily South Pacific and South America.

I am 75yo male, 10 week post-op, radical robotic prostatectomy. I have no detectable PSA, so a good prognosis. I am still completely urinary incontinent, but have learned to manage it well, with very few mishaps.

I am yearning to take a 3-4 week ocean cruise while we still can. A quick quantity and size calculation reveals that I would need a large suitcase for pull-ups and diapers alone.

Does anyone have any experience with travel like this? Are pull-ups and diapers available in larger foreign cities? Running out of supplies would be a disaster.

Thanks for reading, all experiences and suggestions are welcome!!!

Incontinence supplies are globally available. You should be able to buy them in any major port. But I think that you should start with a shorter cruise - 3 to 4 weeks is a long time on a cruise at your stage of recovery.