Needing advice on cloth diapers and plastic pants.

Archives1

Staff member
Got a couple of cloth diapers with snaps instead of pins this summer and plastic pants to save on money. I wear them after getting home Friday and Saturday would then wash on Sunday.
I found them to be really comfortable as I was afraid I would feel really wet in them but haven't so far. It was easy during the summer and early fall as I would wash them and hang on clothes line to dry.
Now that fall weather is setting in it is not an option as they won't dry in the cold damp weather. I don't know about throwing them (the diapers with plastic snaps and plastic pants) in the dryer as I don't want to destroy them.

Also what works best to get out any stains?

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight.

Don’t throw plastic pants in the dryer as like you think you will destroy them.

In regards to stains in depends on color of product as of white bleach will work amazingly otherwise try like oxostain remover or products like that.

Hope this helps at least somewhat. :)

Hi @MarineJohn, I, too, wouldn't take a chance on throwing plastic pants or anything with plastic snaps in the dryer! Just a bit too risky as dryers can get pretty hot. Just hang them up on a line inside your garage or basement or wherever there's space. Hope that helps!

Wash your plastic pants then dry them with wiping them towel dry as they lay flat o. Aciunter top. You can the slide them over a plastic clothes hanger and hang in a closet or bedroom for finish drying

In 1961 I got a wooden fold-up dryer rack, set the rack over the floor furnace, hung diapers over the rungs and let them dry. Today when I need something dried quickly I use a portable hair dryer.

I wait until I have at least three cloth diapers to wash. Wash them in warm water, with warm rinse, AND add a cup of vinegar to help sanitize them. Line dry in basement, about 2 days, then in dryer for one cycle on red-hot heat, usually about 10 minutes. This takes stiffness out. Plastic pants are usually rinsed when I shower and hung up on a towel rack or shower head. Do not ever put plastic pants in the dryer or sun. The heat will ruin them. Diapers ok In the sun.

Anyone have problems with and a solution for, residual odors in plastic pants. Even after they have been laundered ?

I use cotton diapers and plastic pants for my bedwetting, so here's my thoughts on the topic...

As most everyone has said, don't put your plastic pants in the dryer. If the high heat doesn't melt them, the heat WILL shorten their lifespan by making them get brittle faster. That being said, I have put my plastic pants in the dryer on the "Air Fluff" setting (No heat..) a few times if I needed them faster than line drying would dry them. Usually, I will rinse my plastic pants out in the shower, then hang them on a hanger in the bathroom. I have several pair, so if they aren't dry when I need them, I use another pair. (It's usually the leg and waist elastic bands that take the longest to dry.)

As far as diapers, I tried one of those diapers with snaps on them once, and it failed after a few washes. The snaps actually pulled out of the fabric! Maybe it was just a defective "one-off", but I have not tried them since. I find diaper pins to be much more effective, and if one DOES fail, it's no big deal. I use a little bleach when I wash my diapers... Not a lot, but I find it really helps with getting rid of odors. I have bought cloth diapers from Adult Cloth Diaper.com, Changing Times Diaper Company, and Rearz. (Canada.) All of them have lasted quite well, even with using a little bleach.

Just an FYI... Rearz is having a special right now, no shipping charges on orders over $100... And if you buy 6 or more cloth prefold diapers, you get another discount. I just bought some last week, and it was only $15.90 per diaper, with no shipping charge, which saved me a lot. (I don't get anything for telling you this, I just like saving money and passing the word.)

Dr Leonards catalogue sells plastic pants i think
Just another resource I dont know cost comparison
You can Google Dr Leonards on line and have catalogs sent too

I haven't seen Dr. Leonard's catalogs in years! I didn't think they were still in business. But Maymay, that is a good suggestion. As I remember their prices on most items did seem reasonable.

I find side snap plastic pants really dry quicker than pull up ones. I usually dry them on the heated towel rail in the bathroom and find my towel underneath absorbs any remaining water drops where I have washed them when I have had a shower.

I found the side snaps on diapers fail too so tend to use pins if I have to.

Heated towel bars are up and becoming in high end homes. Having a warm towel to dry yourself off after a shower is the ultimate. I don't know if I would ever put them in my house. I will usually put my plastic pants in front of the furnace register for a few minutes to dry off and soften them.