My thoughts on leaks and accidents.

Archives1

Staff member
My secret for minimizing leaks/accidents is simply changing on a set schedule. For example I typically do the same thing everyday such as coffee in the morning, lunch at 11-noon and dinner around the 5ish and a glass of wine in the evening.
Based on my typical day all I have to do is make sure I change after my morning shower, noon, just before dinner and after my evening shower. If I stay on both schedules I rarely ever have any problems with leaks unless my brief has a manufacturing issue.
Getting on a schedule was one of the first assignments I was given during my physical therapy and it really does make a huge difference versus waiting until you think you need to change and having issues.
If I change my daily routine then I'll make the necessary adjustments. I didn't include medications that help because they seem to effect people differently.

Now in regards to leaking at night, that shouldn't be happening if everything else is on schedule and you make sure your penis is always pointing down (applies to us guys, lol).

I hope this didn't sound harsh but I know it really helped me as I adjusted to living with incontinence.

@CES97: Thanks for posting - all very true. I think this reflection is a real perspective on living with day to day bladder issues.

I've found, when in situations where I have the frequent urge and wetting incidences - I only void in small amounts. Thus the frequency and voiding - I don't require protection that is nearly the description of what others use.

I consider myself unfortunately blessed in that regard - I wouldn't wish this condition on my worst enemy.

Somedays, I wonder. Will the pressure inside my bladder just go away?

Thank you for sharing, take care.

HC

I guess this is directed at me as that’s what I’ve been struggling with. I cannot have a voiding schedule as I have a paralyzed neurogenic bladder. I’m only voiding once and having leaks. And I don’t have a penis so I don’t know what to tell you regarding that. I have tried EVERYTHING

I personally have had leaks at night with every product I have tried at one time or another. Once I started using Gary wear pul pants that went way down.

I still sometimes have a leak right off the start though. It all depends on factors like how long I have been wearing, how much moving I have done, and it I have pulled the diaper down to have a bm.

The fact is that leaks happen sometimes, but they should be rare with the products we are using. One thing I do know is that where MagaMax leak for me is alway out the leg guards. I have been playing around with different taping areas and find that doing the top tabs first is the only way I do not leak with the MegaMax.

@ThatFLGuy same here, I find with the mega max if I do the top tapes first and then when I do the bottom tapes I’d bring them up high almost overlapping the top tapes I seem to get a better fit, guessing it’s the way my hips are shaped.

As a side-sleeper I find that I regularly leak at night. Often the body of my pad can still be dry with the fluid escaping through the unprotected side.
Gravity is not my freind at night, but thankfully my bed pad is.

Honeeecombs said:
@CES97: Thanks for posting - all very true. I think this reflection is a real perspective on living with day to day bladder issues.

I've found, when in situations where I have the frequent urge and wetting incidences - I only void in small amounts. Thus the frequency and voiding - I don't require protection that is nearly the description of what others use.

I consider myself unfortunately blessed in that regard - I wouldn't wish this condition on my worst enemy.

Somedays, I wonder. Will the pressure inside my bladder just go away?

Thank you for sharing, take care.

HC

Actually, I usually think of it as something I wouldn't wish on my best friend, but that it's okay for my enemies. (I know, I shouldn't feel that way...)

justej said:
I guess this is directed at me as that’s what I’ve been struggling with. I cannot have a voiding schedule as I have a paralyzed neurogenic bladder. I’m only voiding once and having leaks. And I don’t have a penis so I don’t know what to tell you regarding that. I have tried EVERYTHING

No, it wasn't directed to you at all, I appreciate your posts and all you've been through. I posted that based on what I learned and what has proven to work. I completely understand that everyone is different and so are their issues.