My Story

MountainLake622

RJ here, early 50s, have urinary incontinence from some nerve damage. Recently made worse by the onset of BPH.

So, I imagine like a lot of people here, for many years my bladder issues were something I never discussed. I always minimized my symptoms, and had a whole protocol that became so normal to me that I didn't realize how much time and effort I was putting into managing and hiding my issues.

In my 30s I started using male guards and later thick incontinence briefs for some drippiness that would leak through to my pants.

For about the last 8 years, I guess as my prostate issues started to develop on top of that baseline of leakiness I've need tab diapers. First just at night, for bedwetting, something I had problems with as a kid but mostly outgrew in my teenage years.

Then I started to have pretty severe urge incontinence throughout the dsy as my urethra became somewhat obstructed.

So daytime diapers as well for about 6 years now.

Anyway, its been a pretty big adjustment. But im managing pretty well.

Done the whole gamut of urology medications and procedures.

Anyway, there are very few people I can talk with about this in real life who understand, so I look forward to participating in this forum, learning from others and sharing my experiences.

I'm always up for personal messages as well, since sometimes even sharing somewhat anonymously on public forums can be difficult.

Have learned a lot here already!

RJ here, early 50s, have urinary incontinence from some nerve damage. Recently made worse by the onset of BPH.

So, I imagine like a lot of people here, for many years my bladder issues were something I never discussed. I always minimized my symptoms, and had a whole protocol that became so normal to me that I didn't realize how much time and effort I was putting into managing and hiding my issues.

In my 30s I started using male guards and later thick incontinence briefs for some drippiness that would leak through to my pants.

For about the last 8 years, I guess as my prostate issues started to develop on top of that baseline of leakiness I've need tab diapers. First just at night, for bedwetting, something I had problems with as a kid but mostly outgrew in my teenage years.

Then I started to have pretty severe urge incontinence throughout the dsy as my urethra became somewhat obstructed.

So daytime diapers as well for about 6 years now.

Anyway, its been a pretty big adjustment. But im managing pretty well.

Done the whole gamut of urology medications and procedures.

Anyway, there are very few people I can talk with about this in real life who understand, so I look forward to participating in this forum, learning from others and sharing my experiences.

I'm always up for personal messages as well, since sometimes even sharing somewhat anonymously on public forums can be difficult.

Have learned a lot here already!
Thanks a lot for sharing - some familiar issues… Good that you are coping with it (y)

Thanks a lot for sharing - some familiar issues… Good that you are coping with it (y)
Honestly the best thing to happen was getting past the stigma of needing to use protective products. For the longest time I refused to use anything that I considered a 'diaper.' Then when I started have the bad urge incontinence I had no choice. And really, it's been a life changer. Don't have to carry extra clothes with me all the time and be afraid of leaks, and I really don't think they are noticeable w the right clothes.

Honestly the best thing to happen was getting past the stigma of needing to use protective products. For the longest time I refused to use anything that I considered a 'diaper.' Then when I started have the bad urge incontinence I had no choice. And really, it's been a life changer. Don't have to carry extra clothes with me all the time and be afraid of leaks, and I really don't think they are noticeable w the right clothes.
I fully agree. The diaper can be hidden, and most people don’t care. The anxiety of an accident can ruin a day. I struggle with bowel as well - maybe even worse than bladder - or - who knows??

I fully agree. The diaper can be hidden, and most people don’t care. The anxiety of an accident can ruin a day. I struggle with bowel as well - maybe even worse than bladder - or - who knows??
I do have occasional bowel accidents but so far not the norm. I did have a bad stomach flu earlier this year. I was glad to be already wearing a diaper, it was definitely not pleasant.