My Second Artificial Urinary Sphincter

Archives1

Staff member
After a radical prostatectomy in 2000 at age 61 I had Radiation the following year since my PSA started to rise. In 2009, after increased incontinence, I had a sling implanted which lasted until 2014. It was then that I had an AUS implanted and my problems were solved until this past April, 7 years later, I began having burning & bleeding when urinating. After 2 cystoscopies it was determined that the cuff area had eroded and the AUS had to be ex-planted. This surgery was done in June and I am still healing and will have a cystoscopy in September to determine if I am ready for a new implant. I’m looking forward to getting my life back to normal since the AUS had made it so.

I to had my prostate removed in 2018 after a major infection right when i got home i was incontinent, 4 months later ended up with a UTI infection because the stitches hadn't dissolved.i was never able to recover and remained incontinent ...had first sling surgery fail because of a bowel movement that was excruciating pain then 6month later had it redone in march of this yr...today i am still going thru 3-4 pads a day and at my witts end...been thinking about aus but am a little skeptical especially you going thru a second one...how was your experience with it for the 7yrs it worked ...how was the function of it was it difficult ....easy ...uncomfortable ...i am 55 in 9 days and they say it last up to 10 yrs but the erosion i hear is often ...did you get any infections from it ....good lick to you sir hope everything goes well

I hope all goes well for you. You truly are one of the lucky ones! Do to my initial nerve damage caused by that errant 80,000lbs. Gravel truck, then the surgically “Enhanced” nerve damage when some undereducated Urological Surgeon burned up the inside of my bladder with a laser. I was then told I was no longer a candidate for AUS at 30 years old! Due to the never ending bladder spasms they told me I would likely destroy my kidneys in pretty short order because of the reflux pressure.
I apologize if I sound jealous, I am! When “Guys” say I’d give my left @#$&* for one of those, it certainly applies here! I’d gladly make room for that little pump in a heartbeat…
I hope you recognize my twisted sense of humor here, I laud you for never quitting, those surgeries are no walk in the park! Please keep us posted & best of luck!

@Tylersway818 "how was your experience with it for the 7yrs it worked ...how was the function of it was it difficult ....easy ...uncomfortable ...i am 55 in 9 days and they say it last up to 10 yrs but the erosion i hear is often ...did you get any infections from it"

I was perfectly happy for the 7 years. It functioned flawlessly and you didn't even know you had it and easy to use. You must wear a light pad (Depend Shields) since there are times you have small drips. The 10 years is optimum some have gotten more I can't complain with 7. I never had an infection from the device.

Do it, you're young and medicine changes everyday.

@Sprung87 I apologize if I sound jealous, I am! When “Guys” say I’d give my left @#$&* for one of those, it certainly applies here! I’d gladly make room for that little pump in a heartbeat…
I hope you recognize my twisted sense of humor here, I laud you for never quitting, those surgeries are no walk in the park!

As I told @Sprung87, do it, you're young and medicine changes everyday. The implant 7 years ago wasn't as bad as the explant since it takes time to heal. The implant is day surgery and it can be activated 6 to 8 weeks after surgery.