Muscle relaxants and incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
Has anyone on here ever taken muscle relaxers for muscle spasms? I recently hurt my back and was wondering if any of the guys on here have experienced problems with muscle relaxants after having a prostatectomy. I am eight months out from surgery and still experience minor leaks at times.

The surgery itself is linked to incontinence, and the relaxants can make it worse depending. It isn't unlikely that both could be causing the issue, but if the relaxants are helping you, it is good to stay on them.

73.5 yrs with RP 3 yrs ago need 1 depend shield/day unless active, which I am usually. Then need 2. Find the shape too narrow, and wish Depends would redesign. But anyway, I use both diazepam 2.5 or .5 Lorazepam at least every other day. No adverse effects upon me or continence. Same with or without muscle relaxants, which I only take at night for pain after active day of intense exercise.

I have used muscle relaxes alolong with syearoids with little effects on control. Should only need them for short time spam.

Thanks for all of your replies. I was hesitant to take the medication but now more likely to go ahead and start them. I figure I can use an extra pad or two a day until my back heals. Just hope there are no long term effects.

Heat and ice are great for muscles as well as sketching and doing minor exercises-be careful but moving gets blood flood, if you have a massage school by you, you can get a cheap massage a few times. Helps a lot. Be careful.

I don't think that muscle relaxants short term is harmful, look up the side effects-two weeks should be all you need to start feeling better. I use a lot of ice to calm inflammation down and eat an anti-inflammatory diet as well.

Alh63 said:
Thanks for all of your replies. I was hesitant to take the medication but now more likely to go ahead and start them. I figure I can use an extra pad or two a day until my back heals. Just hope there are no long term effects.

From what I remember, as long as it is short term, there is no lasting effects. I was on them for about 2-3 months trying to figure my neurological pain issues, and they didn't change much with my bladder. I wouldn't worry, but I would also keep an eye on it.