Multiple sclerosis and bowel incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
I am 67 yrs old and have had MS for 40 years. It has been severe enough in that I can no longer walk and have a myriad of other problems. However I am now experiencing bowel incontinence, the doctors don’t seem to have any answers so I have to find a way of managing it so that I don’t become housebound because I have fear of an accident. I would be grateful if anybody has tips on how to manage this
Many thanks
Petra

My heart goes out to you because you are continuing to get out and live the fullest life (bravo) but all i can suggest is google MS suport groups or MS and bowel incontence as its an issue with the illness for many

I've been quadriplegic for a long time. I had two major strokes and many years with MS. I have not had bladder or bowel control for a long time. For many years I was on a bowel program. Look up quadriplegic bowel program. At this point thats not possible anymore. So I need to use the disposable adult briefs. I don't get out a lot. But it is possible. You just need help and planning. Make sure to take care of your skin. Sorry You are going through this.