MRI

Archives1

Staff member
Was supposed to get an MRI last night to see if they can figure out why I am suddenly incontinent. Unfortunately five minutes in I had to have them pull me out. My anxiety is still so high I’m dizzy. Has anyone had IV sedation for an MRI and was it successful?

Were you in a Large Bore MRI? Those are more like a donut and less like a tube and they tend to be less claustrophobic. Ask if your center has one. If not, ask if another hospital group has one. It might allow you to get the MRI and not require any sedation. Good luck!

Hi Rupertino,
Sorry that didn’t work out for you. Did they have an open mri machine they could get you in? I have had over sedation a few times. When they put the new lens in my eye and for a couple colonoscopies. Seemed to work well for a quick procedure

@Rupertino I have had sedation for a colonoscopy and for an endoscopic ultrasound, these worked well.

I have had two MRI's and I am very claustrophobic. The first one they gave me goggles and ear buds. the goggles were actually connected to a tv and I just laid there and watched the history channel. The second MRI was at a different location and they didn't have the high tech goggles. So they just put a dry wash cloth over my eyes. That worked too.

I have found two things that work for "you're never getting me into one of those tubes again!" me when I needed to have another MRI. 1. Ask for an open MRI. It still is a tube, but I could see the ceiling through some openings when I opened my eyes. 2. I asked the technician to talk to me any time the machine wasn't making its noises: tell me how many minutes are left, tell me what (s)he is doing, anything to let me know that there is a human being out there who is aware that I am in here. Also, I found it helpful to know how long the noisy parts were going to take so I could count the seconds. The experience was still unpleasant, but I was able to keep myself calm enough to complete the test. I have yet to find an MD who will take claustrophobia seriously enough to prescribe a tranquilizer.

MRI's are very noisy. I had two done in less than a year. Asked do an open MRI. Was given ear buds to listen to music of my choice and a cloth was put over my eyes. The tech kept Me informed of what was going on and how much time was left on my test. Worked out well for me.

I'm not claustrophibic, and never had MRI or CT with an IV or sedation. The newest machines aren't so loud they hurt, and i noticed the "tunnel" was shorter, too. You'd think they could offer a tranquilizer. Ask. The tech that does it may not have the authority, but they can ask the Doc. My last CT was my head, only (No, there wasn't a brain detected), but others didn't include having to go full-body in, since the two i had in 2003.

I've taken Valium before and it worked fine for me. But I'm not really claustrophobic; I just wanted to get the free buzz!! LOL

It’s amazing as what works for one person doesn’t work for the next. My last mri they gave me Valium and I took 2 1mg antivan and that barely worked for me. For my next mri they have prescribed me seroquel with the intention of knocking me out. Fingers crossed it works. Time will tell.