moisture barrier?

Archives1

Staff member
New to this problem and I'm finding that I'm beginning to develop a type of diaper rash. I realize that I may need to change more often, but I've begun to apply Desitin to my crotch two or three times a day. Is there anything else I can use to avoid this problem? Thanks

I’ve had better luck with a&d cream

Also I’ve had luck taking showers when changing if I’m home, it’s better than the chemical infused wipes.

Also consider differant products that pull urin away from your skin. I’ve found that poly backed diapers work far better for this than pullips or “cloth like” briefs.

J...,
You might want to consider reducing the leakage, which will also address the issue. If you'd like more info on that subject, pls send a note. Best wishes. DG

@jbo Have you heard of External Catheters?
The best thing is to not get wet to begin with? I am making the assumption you are male, but there are similar solutions for women.

Fynlee said:
J...,
You might want to consider reducing the leakage, which will also address the issue. If you'd like more info on that subject, pls send a note. Best wishes. DG
Please tell me more...

Klew11 said:
@jbo Have you heard of External Catheters?
The best thing is to not get wet to begin with? I am making the assumption you are male, but there are similar solutions for women.
I am a male...tell me more

@jbo They can be purchased directly on the internet or get a prescription from your urologist and have your insurance company pay for all or some of them.

What they are is a condom that opens at the end and attaches to a tube that leads to a collection bag.

You can call Comfort Medical +1 (800) 210-5134. Ask for samples that would include several bags and condoms (in different sizes). They will provide a gauge that you can take an exact measurement for the best fit. This is the quickest way to give them a try.

It takes a while to figure out how they work best. You have to be patient and don’t go out in public until you have confidence in the fit and have learned how to secure all the connections properly. Wearing tight pants can cause crimps and pull the connections apart if you are not careful.

Good luck!

J...,
We have recently received patent protection for our external soft silicone sleeve that is designed to put upward pressure on the urethra to impede urine flow. I can only offer you a protype at this time to try, since we are now seeking a medical industry partner to take it to market. You can certainly try it if you have an interest. Knowing what's coming will give you a great measure of hope for the future, I believe. Impeding leakage is always a better choice, I would argue. I can send more info if you email us at amhelp@comcast.net. DG

@jbo I agree with Klew11. Check out the forum "Condom Catheters". It has a lot of great info. I use Condom Catheters (external catheters or EC) day and night. It did take a while to figure out what worked for me, but once I did... no more diapers/pads and associated problems. I still work as a landscaper and snowplow in the winter. The EC's have given me back my freedom.

I used Comfort Medical and got free samples. Once I had it figured out I asked my Dr and the prescription was written. Medicare/Insurance covers all the costs so far.

Good Luck. Being dry again was well worth the time it took. R

Found this to be the best. Comes in two strengths
Red tube and yellow tube. Both superior.
I don’t use ointment regularly. Very seldom, as I’ve never had rash. But occasionally will use this for longer periods of wearing protection. So it must do a great job of prevention.

ad8365da0b349b709d1c26032015085c.jpg

I am a fan of A&D diaper rash cream too. Much less messy than Desitin, at least the old zinc oxide ointment that I used in the past. Cortisone cream helps once you have a rash.

I'm proactive with Calmoseptine and apply with each change to prevent skin issues (don't wait for there to be a problem first). Calmoseptine is extremely thick so it'll stay on until you wipe it off. I've used it for years and unless I get a heat rash or accidently tape my diaper to tight I wont have skin issues.

@jbo Along with suggestions from changing more (honestly folks, it's not a contest to see how much a product holds, there's no 1st place prize; only participation trophies) to protective creams (I'm a fan of Aquaphor 40% zinc), I would add 1) drinking more water to lower concentration, 2) airing out your skin daily, and 3) you said you are diabetic so, skin help is really important. You also didn't mention what products you use so, this maybe not applicable - I would stay away from plastic backed diapers as they trap heat and moisture more than breathable, cloth backed products.