Moisture and Skin Breakdown - Your tricks

Archives1

Staff member
As a person who sits in a wheelchair all day long, I personally need to make sure my skin is super healthy. I have a quality cushion and although I'm rather thin, I've never developed a pressure sore in my 25 years paralyzed.

One good thing is that I cannot sweat due to my high level Spinal Injury. It's hell in hot weather, but great because my skin stays dry and therefore mostly free of any moisture-related redness. I do however sometimes get redness on either side of my boys down under, so I dab a tiny drop of Silver Sulfadiazine Cream on the spot and it clears it up within the same day. Another trick to my skin being so clear and healthy is that I shave absolutely everything except my eyebrows, especially armpits and the boys where body temperature is higher and moisture is more likely.

I am sharing this with you because when I find effective measures to help my fellow wheelchair users life a cleaner and healthier life, it also helps the able bodied population do the same. I'm not shy about anything to do with the body, so I like to know what works for who and what works for you? I know most of you have trouble with UI, ad obviously you need to deal wit more moisture than I do, but I know persons in wheelchairs who deal with UI and I'm always interested in offering them solutions so they don't have to deal with accelerated skin breakdown.

Thank you all!

My plastic surgeon and home healthcare nurses used Silver Sulfadiazine Cream, prescription, of course, to treat my 3rd-degree burn. It’s great stuff. Other than the burn itself and the five ensuing escharotomies, I had no complications, no infections - whew!!! I still have some.

I (a female) definitely find shaving “everything” decreases sweat, diaper rash, and odor.

Since I wear briefs to bed - I just use medicated powder to stay dry. I hate the smell of urine in the morning and so if I don't use powder I usually wake up to an odor. Also helps the skin from breaking down.

snow said:
My plastic surgeon and home healthcare nurses used Silver Sulfadiazine Cream, prescription, of course, to treat my 3rd-degree burn. It’s great stuff. Other than the burn itself and the five ensuing escharotomies, I had no complications, no infections - whew!!! I still have some.

I (a female) definitely find shaving “everything” decreases sweat, diaper rash, and odor.

100% agree keeping everything shaved odor is minimized and clean ups are much faster and skin stays healthier longer!

@DeanLikesToHelp when I get skin problems it is usually in the crease between the top of my leg and groin. Sometimes, my scrotal skin can get irritated. When this happens I use a zinc oxide cream, the rest of the time I use a cheap barrier cream. I also keep my hair trimmed very short. Phil

physlink said:
@DeanLikesToHelp when I get skin problems it is usually in the crease between the top of my leg and groin. Sometimes, my scrotal skin can get irritated. When this happens I use a zinc oxide cream, the rest of the time I use a cheap barrier cream. I also keep my hair trimmed very short. Phil
Same here I do similar to keep rashes at bay.

Great subject Dean,

I try to air my skin sometimes but have to sit on some protection just incase. Also, when I get sore like Phil does, I will apply a minute layer of Sudocreme or Cavillon to that area. Remember, skin needs to breathe and is the biggest organ in your body. Don't put more than you can apply to your little finger nail is the way I was trained.

Also remember pads need to absorb so filling it with powder or cream will affect the absorbency of the pad.