Mid urethral bladder sling for SUI

Archives1

Staff member
Hello,
I just joined this forum. I’m 45 yr old female, and scheduled for a surgery to treat my stress urinary incontinence with a retro public mid urethral mesh sling (tension free vaginal tape).
I’m hoping to connect with anyone who may have gone through a similar surgery to learn about effectiveness, side effects, etc. many thanks!

Hello, and welcome to the forum! Hoooorsy, another female, and close to my age (I just turned 47). What is your diagnosis? Mine is a Neurogenic Bladder.

I’ve been a member on the forum for about 5-7 years. I’m sorry to say, most mesh products fail. There are many lawsuits against them. There’s a chance my ex-husband got lethal cancer from the mesh that was used to treat his hernia. But I myself have not been advised to have that procedure, nor have I had it, so I’m not in a good position to advise you.

By joining this forum, you are clearly doing your Internet research, and I would advise you to continue to do that. There aren’t many women on this forum (men comprise about 95% of the membership and women 5%) but hopefully some of the rest of them will also address your question.

Best wishes! Please just let us know if you have the surgery or not, and how it goes and what the results are. Thank you!

Just an FYI on the actual sling materials. I would check with whoever is advising this surgery as to which brand of materials are to be used and it’s origin. Just a couple of years back the last American company making this material sold everything to a Chinese manufacturer as there were too many lawsuits due to material failures.
After many horrible infections & deaths it was found the biggest US supplier from China was using ground up plastics ie: soft drink bottles, water jugs, etc. sent to China to be recycled. Even armed with all of this information, many surgeons continued performing these sling procedures because to many surgeons this was their specialty and money maker…
Sorry to welcome you to the forum like this, you’ve found a great group of very supportive people here! I would really grill the surgeon as Snow has stated these procedures have a notoriously high failure rate which often require another surgery to remove this stuff to prevent further complications, while often causing more damage..
Just the fact you are here seeking “Real Life” information shows you don’t take these suggestions lightly as so many folks with “Our” issues do often out of desperation, myself included.
Best of luck going forward, this is a complicated COMPLICATION, as we are often reminded erroneously that “Incontinence is not a disease, just a symptom”! There are many ways to discreetly manage this and to each of us it is different, being a guy this is where I’ll defer to the ladies here!

clickable textThanks Snow! My diagnosis is for SUI (no prolapse). The mesh is made of polypropylene manufactured by Gynecare.
The international Urogynecological community has issued a global position statement stating that the use of polypropylene mesh is safe and effective.
Here’s the source. I’m hoping this is true and welcome personal experiences from others.