Medications for OAB

Archives1

Staff member
There are a number of medications that are prescribed for
OAB. I would like to hear from those of hyou that have had success with a a particular med.

I been on Fesoterodine (Toviaz) for 6 months. I think it helped but not 100%. Had a lot of dry mouth in beginning but it got easier.
I also just started Oxybutynin (Ditropan) right before bed to help with nighttime wetting. It may have helped a bit but I been making some lifestyle changes to so still TBD on that one.

I was on oxybutynin for a long time it seemed to help a little but not a complete fix. I still had accidents during the day and still required a diaper. I also still had nighttime Bedwetting. I’ve talked with many people and doctors who tell me the medications help but everyone has problems in various degrees. I stopped using it after the nerves to my bladder stopped working. I hope you can find something that will work for you. Good luck.

Hi Walter, I had my Radical Prostatectomy 13 months ago. I suffer from urinary incontinence and during the night I had to get up up to 7 times to urinate. My doctor prescribed Mirabegron for the OAB however it was not very helpful. I did some research on the internet and found a study done by doctors where they found that combining 50 mg of Mirabegron with 5 mg of Solifenacin (Vesicare in the USA)improve the OAB, I decided to try it and the results were very good. Reduced nightly trips to the bathroom to 1-2 times. During the day it also helps not to have emergencies.
I have attached a note that appears on the Medlineplus.gov website:
"Mirabegron is used alone or in combination with solifenacin (Vesicare) to treat overactive bladder (a condition in which the bladder muscles contract uncontrollably and cause frequent urination, urgent need to urinate, and inability to control urination) in adults. It is also used to treat neurogenic detrusor overactivity (a bladder control condition caused by brain, spinal cord or nerve problem) in children 3 years of age and older.Mirabegron is in a class of medications called beta-3 adrenergic agonists.It works by relaxing the bladder muscles to prevent urgent, frequent, or uncontrolled urination."
I hope help to you too.

I was on Mirabegron for 90 days and it cut my incontinence in half - from 40+ ounces/day to 20+ounces/day. I have since had the AUS implanted, which has worked almost without any leakage, but I still had urge incontinence. So the urologist has had me on Gemtesa for the past 10 days. My strongest urge now hits between 2 and 3 hours depending on my level of hydration. At night I can go 5-7 hours off sleep without waking with the urge. So far, no side effects.

@Walter I have been on Myrbetriq (mirabegron) for years. Can't remember any side effects nor do I have them now. It really tightened me up and gave me more control. I still get a few little leaks and it has over time not worked as well as it used to. I use TP to catch any little leaks that I still have and have had to increase the amount of TP pads in my separate pouch underwear. It does give me a little retention and a bit more difficult to void. In the morning or being a long time not going to the bathroom I will most likely have to return a vary short time later to pee again. Same with if I am setting down for a BM and I will get up and walk out to have to turn around and go back to pee standing up. I am also on Alfuzosin (Uroxatral) to reduce the number of times I get up at night to pee. It worked well the first few weeks then not so much. Doc said to keep taking it as it is most likely still helping. Must be getting points for having on the drug. No side effects with it either.

I have a combined dribble and urge IC. My doc asked me if I would like to try some meds which can suppress the urges to a certain amount. But he warned me for the side effects (dry mouth, tiredness, balance problems, higher blood pressure) and asked me if I would really be OK with that - also stating truly, that the meds would not be able to heal my IC but only reduce it of some level.
So, with the expectation of still needing protection and with the side effects I decided to leave it as it is! I've no issues with wearing according protection without any side effects instead of taking meds, having side effects and still need (even if thinner) some protection.