Medicare sign up

Archives1

Staff member
Hi all. I will be turning 65 soon and will have to sign up for Medicare. I have gotten so much junk about different Medicare Advantage plans and other stuff saying that Medicare Advantage is a scam. I'm really confused. Some say that you should sign up for Original Medicare and pay the extra at first, because, Medicare Advantage looks great at first but then doesn't pay very well down the line if you have some big medical problems. Also, apparently, if you sign up for Medicare Advantage at first, you can't change later.
Finally, does anyone know if Medicare covers incontinence supplies? I went through a period where I had to wear a catheter. I hope to God I never have to do that again. I ended up in the emergency room with a very severe UTI. Anyway, I now order diapers and plastic pants and those get me through the day. Does anyone know if Medicare pays for diapers?

Thank you for any consideration.

I have been on Medicare for couple years, I wont sign up for Advantage. And NO they will not pay for incontinence protection, if you need too CIC they will pay for that and Foley's.

Boomersway is correct! Medicare Advantage is not the way to go...cheaper at first, but more costly in time, and does not cover as much. Also, diapers are not covered...unfortunately! I've been on Medicare for 10 years with an added supplement that has done me well.

My supplement plan is from Mutual of Omaha. This year my part D drug plan is from aarp. That can change every year depending on the drugs you take,who provides the best deductible, etc. After your first year signing up, it gets a little easier...sort of?

I pay out of pocket for my diapers. As for Medicare they don't pay for any incontinence supplies,but Medicare advantage plans do, but only for light incontinence supplies. For an example pads pull ups for light
incontinence only. No diapers at all. It depends on what State you live in. Medicaid do cover diapers but they are not greatest thing in world. Your best bet is to pay out pocket for diapers if you can afford it.

I’ve been on the Medicare for disability for about 6 years now. The BIG insurance companies can no longer dump you under the Affordable Care Act, but they sure can price you out! I went on my wife’s corporate plan after becoming disabled by an all edged Surgeon??? After the first year they wanted to bump my bills to $84,000 per year for basic coverage! The full coverage I had for years was insanely priced!
It turns out that Medicare with the MUST HAVE Part D works pretty well, but I’ve had to fight to get things done at times I’ve needed some major spine surgeries and most has been paid for.Prescriptions are not covered without a part D plan, so I suggest shopping around for a plan that covers any meds you might already be taking. There are also gap plans available that cover the difference between what Medicare covers & what your hospital/ doctors charge.
I’d suggest checking around for these Medicare supplement plans. Some of the companies are exactly what they say they are, but there are TOO MANY scams out there! Typical of the worst will have you sign over your benefits to them promising to put your money back in your bank account! Reality is it’s going straight into their pockets!
If you’re leaving a company with a good HR department, they may also give you an assist.

idon’t know what state you live in but I’m in pa and have Geisinger gold advantage plan has been great for me but I would talk to someone like area of aging they should be able to give you all your options for your state and county as to who is available

When I went on medicare, I sought the advice of a licensed broker. They work independently and get a commission from the insurance companies, no cost to me. I review my plans yearly and make adjustments as needed.

One major disadvantage of Advantage plans is that they are network plans. You can only go in your own network, compared to regular Medicare where you can see any provider anywhere in the US if they are Medicare participants. For example, my father lived in Florida but spent 5 months/year in New York. He could only see doctors in Florida who were on his Advantage plan. He needed a cardiac stent during the summer months and had to wait until he returned to Florida. This is a deal breaker for me. I have had regular Medicare myself with a BC/BS supplement for 7 years and have had 3 major surgeries during that time -- total billed amount was almost $750,000. My cost -- zero. The supplemental plan is a little pricey but well worth it for me.

thudson1965 said:
Does anyone use a Medicare Supplemental plan and which one?

How about Medicare part D for Drugs?

I have mine through Aetna, I use to be on BCBS for medication supplement alot cheaper

I also have Medicare with BC/BS as a backup. My husband has been going through medical procedures in the thousands of dollars and we’ve paid $0.

I know this sounds wrong, but it’s the truth as told to me by a surgeon I did NOT allow to operate on my neck. Without a supplemental insurance plan, many money grabbers will not provide the care you want/ need. You will be pushed to the end of the line for high level procedures often in hopes you will simply find a provider that has a heart, or an empty wallet. Tests like MRI’s etc. not prescribed using much cheaper CT Scans instead. I’ve seen things I can’t even discuss in the name of pulling a profit…. Get the supplemental from a highly ranked carrier..

Be sure you get your online Medicare portal account:

MyMedicare.gov

You don't need to go through an agency or company.

It has become quite mature over the years, and we consider it to be very user-friendly. You can find everything you need to know about what Medicare will provide.

It allows you to compare costs and coverage of supplemental insurance companies. For example, finding the best Part-D drug coverage for your circumstances: Just enter all the drugs you are currently taking (or will be taking) and it will give you a list of companies sorted anyway you want. It shows you what your total out-of-pocket expenses will be for each company. When you find the best company for your needs you simply sign up right there in the Medicare portal. Simple!

Be sure to check in every year during open enrolment to see if you need to change companies.

We really appreciate how easy it is.

I use a licensed broker to research every insurance Company out there. When I first started Medicare, my broker spent over 22 hours over several days researching which companies best suited my needs
The broker gets a monthly commission check for each plan they sell. I don't pay anything.
Each state has their own rules and regulations.

Forgot to mention. Not all plans are available in all areas.
A good broker should spend the time to get you the right plan that suits your needs.
After the initial plan, I check each year for thing I need to tweak.I give my broker a heads up several weeks prior to enrollment periods to see if I need to change anything.