Male incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
Hi there. It's been a month since I had a radical prostatectomy and I'm still completely incontinent. I've been doing kegel exercises religiously but there's absolutely no improvement in the incontinence. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm beginning to think things are never going to improve .

I had mine in November 2019, it was April until I saw an improvement. I now am dry most nights and go until noon before pas changes. I am see a pelvic floor PT, That has helped.

It takes time ... I had my surgery 11/2019 and I’m finally at the point where I’m using one pad per day just to catch random urge leaking. Hang in there you’ll get there. 1 month out you are still healing.

@Pierpoe I am 8 month out, completely dry, have been since week 10. Patience is your friend. I walked a lot along with Kagels. Just have to keep positive and keep at it. Your body needs time to heal. No caffeine drinks or carbonated drinks until you gain better control will also help. Good luck. Keep your head up!

Agree with all the posts - it takes time and continued exercise, kegels and a positive attitude. I had radical prostatectomy on December 2, 2019. After seven months I am dry at night, leak during exercise and dribble a bit in the late afternoon/evening. I found that stopping the flow of urine for a few seconds once or twice a day helped me. See a physical therapist to ensure you are doing your kegels correctly. It's hard but try to delay time between voids to strenghten your bladder control. Most importantly, hang in there. You will get better.

Wow, this is all very encouraging! My husband is just shy of six weeks after a laparoscopic prostatectomy and he is still completely incontinent. We’re worried. He’s not due to see the doctor again until mid July and we’ve been feeling a little alone out here and unsure. He’s doing kegels but not sure if he’s doing them correctly. At what point did all of you start seeing a PT? I just want to be sure it’s OK the doctor is having him wait so long before seeing one. Also, he stays laying down much more than he normally would, because he leaks completely whenever vertical— does anyone know if that would potentially negatively impact his healing because perhaps he’s not trying to use his bladder muscles as much when he’s laying down? I will make a separate thread for that question if needed, but my husband’s story seems so similar to Pierpow’s (the original poster), so I hope this convo will help him as well. So glad I found this forum!

I leaked very little sitting still or lying down, but I believed physical activity was important, so I just put on a pullup went out an walked a lot 3 times a day, noticed progress every week until nearly dry. Even tried holding Kagles while I walked. Walking also stregthens the pelvic floor. Dont give up keep at it. The more active tge better. I walked nearly 3 miles a day, completely dry now.

Yoga and pilates strengthen pelvic floor muscles better than Kegals. Try an online class or DVD. You will be amazed at how many muscles you use in your pelvic floor.

I hope this helps you guys. I'm so sorry for your incontinence, but at least your cancer has been treated, and this is just one of the side effects of your surgery. Just wear a diaper or pad and resume your regular activities. Being active will boost your spirit!

@Pierpow Will you give an update for those of us who are following in your path? I am 5.5 weeks post Prostatectomy on Sept 24, 2020.

Any insight on what helped?

Thank you,
Terry

@derkaiser Will you give an update on how you are doing? Your original post has been archived.
Thank you,
Terry

@Jungle Would you give an update concerning your husband? It seems that a lot of people do not start to see improvement until week 6 to 12. I think the suggestion to walk has helped me most because of physically and mentally get out of the house. At the end of week two, I was using 12 pull-ups. At the end of week four, I am down to 5 pullups.

The improvement factors:

reduction of fluids down to 3.5 quarts
physical activity - walking, but not exerting
Kegels / pelvic floor exercises
time - learning how to handle the incontinence

Thudsin1965, Sounds like you’re doing great! My husband is almost 6 months out and is down to one pad a day for infrequent emergency leaks. We remember well the panic he was feeling when he was 10 weeks out with no improvement at all and just sitting upright made him leak. But around week 11, things started to improve and gradually got better a little at a time. The whole experience made him sort of depressed at first and all he wanted to do was lay on the couch, which is weird for him because he is a very active person. Getting out for a walk seems well worth it, whether the exercise specifically helps your incontinence or it helps other health factors, including mood. His Dr said a PT wouldn’t really be help for his situation and that the thing that takes longer is for the nerves to repair themselves, rather than muscles to become strong again. Maybe some of that advice was based on the fact that my husband was in excellent, almost athletic conditioning at the time of the surgery? I don’t know. He did kegels prior to surgery and for the few weeks afterward but only intermittently since then. His doctor doesn’t think research shows that Kegels actually do shorten the incontinence period. You do hear so much about them being helpful though, that I would think they can’t hurt. Once my husband’s heavy leakage diminished, he gradually became more and more active fairly quickly, and now, the only time he really leaks as when he is very active for the day and his muscles seem to get a little tired in the early evening. Good luck to you!

@Jungle Thank you for the update. It is encouraging to me and will be to other's who search Prostatectomy!

The PT would be for a physical therapist that specializes in Kegel (pelvic floor) exercise. I have read that you can do too many Kegel exercises, but 3 to 6 sets of 10 day helps.