Male Exercises for Urge Incontinence other than Kegels

Archives1

Staff member
I'm about 4 1/2 months post RP surgery and still experiencing significant stress incontinence. I've been having PT using bio feedback and doing daily Kegels, 3 sets of 10, since early November. So far very little progress. Going thru 3 or 4 pullups/day. Are they any exercises other than Kegels that I might try? Thanks

My suggestion is purchase a product from kGoal.com.
This device has essentially gamified kegal exercises and will change your recovery cycle enormously. The two gentlemen who have developed this device have those of us in mind who have incontinence issues following prostatectomy to say nothing about the use applications for other healthcare issues.
The device is user friendly ,rational price and really does work to the users benefit . My journey has changed dramatically following its use. jmiller@xco.io

@JMiller Hi Jay - These guys don't happen to have a device for females that you know of, do they? - Pam

Keep doing kegals, stretching, yoga and walking. After 18 months if you're still leaking more than you can accept find a urologist that can discuss pelvic sling surgery. Check out posts. I am finally bone dry but it took me over three years before I got the pelvic sling surgery. Note: the pelvic sling surgery is not for sissies - it's a tad painful and uncomfortable for at least five weeks. However, I would absolutely have the pelvic sling surgery again. Good luck!

I'm 16 months post RP and going for sling surgery next week as still slightly leaking. That said, one form of kegel exercise that I switched to was to lay flat on my back, legs bent, then start doing a situp to feel the proper muscle tightening (you can lay back down) while you hold to finish each 10x10 kegel. I found this method got me more focused on the pelvic floor muscles. And Murray1245, it will get better but likely after another 2-3 months. I'm using 1 light pad/day with not much activity. During more activity/exercise I have more leakage thus reason for sling surgery. Hang in there and keep doing that amount of kegel exercises.

I have been using the Elletens pelvic floor stimulator
( https://www.tensmachineinfo.com.au/for-men )

Both me and my female partner have a Elletens unit each and have seen good improvement in our IC control over the last 6 months. We only use program 3 of the 4 programs available. Can be used whilst watching TV or reading... very private. We would certainly recommend trying

For some reason I find that kegels are pointless when it comes to urgency. I feel like it would be like trying to resist when your body wants to vomit.

Infact, I’ve had urgency triggered by kegels before. The only thing I have found that is helpful against urgency is getting ahead of it by peeing or draining with a catheter before it hits.

I realize that this may not be possible for some. My issue isn’t frequency, so I have the luxury of more time between voids.

JustAGuy said:
For some reason I find that kegels are pointless when it comes to urgency. I feel like it would be like trying to resist when your body wants to vomit.

Infact, I’ve had urgency triggered by kegels before. The only thing I have found that is helpful against urgency is getting ahead of it by peeing or draining with a catheter before it hits.

I realize that this may not be possible for some. My issue isn’t frequency, so I have the luxury of more time between voids.

This is exactly how I feel.

I stopped doing kegals because even when I did them when my symptoms started going on a few years now; I still have uncontrollable urge issues.

Thank you for sharing my feelings.

Blessings,
Honeeecombs

My doctor and PT highly recommended doing 150 Kegels a day, 5 sets of 30 kegs. I'm relentless in doing them and at just over 14 months since my RP I can go most days within protection. I do have small accidents from time to time, my underwear will absorbs these. I'll wear a pad when I got out to dinner with friends for added security. In the last few months I switch my Kegels to 3 sets of 40 kegs plus 1 set of 30 kegs to make up the 150. Every once and while I'll miss a set or two to give myself a break. Don't know if the Kegels did it for me or if I would have gotten to this point on my own but it gave me hope and at times you really do need some hope. Good luck to you