Making topics more useful

Archives1

Staff member
I don't mind frequent emails about so-and-so posting a new topic. But I can't tell from the topic's name if it's pertinent to me, and I often just don't take the time to sign in and view that topic.

What if we tried to make the topics more descriptive? Instead of "feeling frustrated." Or "need help." Perhaps you could say, "Who has tried such-and-such drug, procedure, or product?" (Naming the specific item being asked about.)

I hate to be the contrarian here but this is predominantly a support forum. I am reluctant to impose too many “rules” for fear of suppressing someone in need of support and fearful for incorrectly titling their issue.

I understand your recommendation and appreciate you bringing it up for discussion.

Let’s see what others think.

Greensleeves

I must say that I agree that I would like for the subject to be more descriptive.

It is helpful because the subject can be searched individual for people to find specific help.

Individual messages can be searched, but only the subject (thread title) is displayed.

Good idea, marciafry.
It would be nice. When in a hurry, a more specific title can catch the eye long enough to attract a click. I try to remember a newbie hasn't experienced the sheer scope. I hadn't. "Diaper" only brought to mind a baby. "New Here" doesn't tell you much - except it might be a very important question to the Mr/Mrs NewPerson. The vocabulary is as specialized as any profession, I discovered. We all get the hang of it.
I've tried searching with the Tags in other places; not always productive.
Some of these post-notices come to me with much or all of the text in view, which helps me. Why does the site do that one time & not another?

I did sort of have an idea that it would be nice to divide things up a bit. I wear pullups 24/7 now but don't have any bedwetting issues. I know my advice probably won't help people with nocturnal incontinence and vice versa. I think in both ways advice can be helpful but nighttime issues are vastly different from daytime depending on severity. I also have considered doing a Mentor program for the newer incontinent people because I remember how terrible daytime leaks were some days.

I also hate to say this because I am incredibly thankful for this forum, but I think an overhaul could be good. New Members should have their own place to post, where they can be greeted and possibly helped, rather than being buried quickly depending on the day. Division may be good in the end, but I think every post is valuable.

my opinion is that I think it would be good to have the message in the body of the email (or at least part of it)

then people can either delete, or click on the link to view the entire message

I tend to agree with Marciafry and others on this. I see the other points as well. I don’t post very often. Mainly because my issues are not related to prostate or similar conditions but rather my multiple resection surgeries and 4 hernias. I get the emails as do most of you and sometimes don’t know what the subject is until I open and read. I think everyone on this site is great, non-judgmental and supportive. That’s the reason why I keep coming back. You never know what you’ll discover. I have learned so much about products, solutions, tips, hacks that have been very useful to me, even though I don’t suffer from the same conditions. Many times a post starts as one topic of conversation but ends up a discussion on several. So yes, subject matter is important but open discussion I find more useful. Thanks again everyone