Lower back injuries and incontinence bed wetting

Archives1

Staff member
I had responded to earlier posts and topics regarding circumstances when it comes to my wetting issues and diagnosis, but I thought I would share a bit of information on the effects of lower back pain and injuries and how our bladder reacts.

Again, I have BPH prostate issues as well as back and neck injuries. Spinal injuries play havoc on certain nerves in in our body.
Our bodies nerves control our muscles and how they react including our bladder and so on.
Such nerves send signals telling our muscles to relax or contract.

The bladder is an organ made of smooth muscle that can hold up to two cups of urine, and normally empties every 2 to 5 hours.
If these nerves exiting our spine are frayed, pinched or disrupted from various injuries they can send a weakened or mixed message to our bladder and bowels.
I experience urinary incontinence due to my prostate condition and the back injuries I’ve had.
I personally had injured lower discs L3,4,5, and S1, C2-C7 in my neck.
I’m also an allergy sufferer. I discovered that my upper neck C2 affects my allergies and sinuses. Taking antihistamines to relieve allergy symptoms also side effect your prostate and bladder.

When at my doctors visit yesterday, I saw this chart on the wall and thought I would share with you. Perhaps many can relate to some of this information.

I have uploaded an image of the human spine and the nervous system showing how it controls different areas of our body.
L3 = bladder Troubles, bed wetting, change of life symptoms etc..
L4 = prostate gland, overly frequent urination.
These are just some of the reactions that occur due to our nerves and muscles. This is why Kegel exercises may help some people with UI.

It doesn’t take much to hurt these nerves and experience the effect of how your body responds. I believe this is more common than people realize. Back injuries are one of the most common injuries worldwide. It is the number one work-related injury effecting 20% of the work force. (US Bureau of Labor)

There are many different stretches and simple soft tissue exercises that help alleviate neck and lower back issues. These along with ice and heat therapy can offer relief to these different vertebrae and muscles. Not necessarily a cure, but relief.

Just noting that lower back issues cause incontinence and bed wetting for me and probably many of us out there.
Wanted to make people aware.

I hope that this was useful information.
Joe

a4ef67855cd67302d6e27f0edefe791d.jpg

That's helpful!!

So many reasons to have incontinence.
A bad slip and fall certainly preceded my issue.

I can concur, early 2000s L3 and four, four and five both herniated with three and four having nerve impingement, I’ve had issues every since then.

@JoeAK Yep, for some of us, our very diagnosis *IS* exactly “Neurogenic Bladder,” which means our nerves from our spine to our bladder were disconnected during an injury, and no longer work.

Humans have the stupidest spine of any animal ever. Way too much body function depends on our ultra precarious spines, and it - we - should be horizontal with, rather than vertical to, the ground.

Yep, same. First lumbar surgery was when I was 36 on L3-L4 and L4-L5. That’s when it all started for me. I was told at the time that I was dealt a bad hand with my spine, no major injuries, just an active life and lots of sports. After surgery, the incredible pain was gone, but other issues only marginally improved.

Fast forward 9 years at 45 years old, I had my second surgery. This time it was L4-L5 again and L5-S1. I also had two conjoined nerves at L3-4 and L5-S1. Unfortunately I think the doc severed the L5 area. As I have only about 40% function in my left leg from mid-thigh down. I can walk and hike (slowly), so that’s all I care about. The muscle spasms and cramps are the worst though. For the rest, there’s stretches for mobility and protection for day and night.

NotDryDude said:
Yep, same. First lumbar surgery was when I was 36 on L3-L4 and L4-L5. That’s when it all started for me. I was told at the time that I was dealt a bad hand with my spine, no major injuries, just an active life and lots of sports. After surgery, the incredible pain was gone, but other issues only marginally improved.

Fast forward 9 years at 45 years old, I had my second surgery. This time it was L4-L5 again and L5-S1. I also had two conjoined nerves at L3-4 and L5-S1. Unfortunately I think the doc severed the L5 area. As I have only about 40% function in my left leg from mid-thigh down. I can walk and hike (slowly), so that’s all I care about. The muscle spasms and cramps are the worst though. For the rest, there’s stretches for mobility and protection for day and night.
NotDryDude said:

Yes lower backs can be so problematic. Glad to hear you’re still out and about taking advantage of the outdoors.