Large bladder

Archives1

Staff member
After my one year prostatectomy and diverticulotomy, it was suggested that I have another urodynamic study due to the fact that I could still retain quite a bit. I can go for hours without feeling the sensation that I have to pee. When I do it's sudden with little control. The study indicated that everything was fairly normal with the exception that I have a very large bladder. Has anyone been given a similar diagnosis? Could that be some of the reasons for my incontinence issues? Would my situation fall into the underactive definition? I didn't have good control before my surgery which could also add to the problem. I am nearly 71 years old, and do not want anymore invasive surgeries or devices implanted. I have learned to manage with diapers. Maybe that's a cop out, but it works. I'm curious if anyone else has similar issues, or is mine unique?

I too have an incredibly large bladder. My usual voiding pattern is two times a day with a liter or more at a time. I can go all day without the sensation to void but when it does come it comes with an extreme sense of urgency followed by an uncontrollable soaking within a few minutes. I had a job that didn't allow for frequent bathroom trip and learned how to ignore the sensation for years. After a head injury in 2010, the "filling" sensation went away and now I only get the urge a few minutes before accidental voiding. The only thing that has helped me was the implanting of the Interstim device by Medtronic. It hasn't changed my pattern but the urges are at least controllable and I am drier these days although there is still the occasional accident they are far and few between. It is a very simple same-day surgery procedure and doesn't have much discomfort with it. It is a whole lot more tolerable than a 51 year old man wetting his pants!

I believe my bladder has gotten small & that would account for my increased frequent need to pee. Occasionally I hardly feel a thing and then suddenly I do with very little control. Most of the time I feel a strong need to pee after an hour or two max. This feels very similar to when I was young & was unable to go for many hours because I was busy doing more important things. I felt a strong burning need to pee but held it well. I think my bladder must be shrinking due to frequency & I know my muscles are weak. This is not over active or under. As for surgery, never had, never will. I don't like the idea of surgery & I can take care of the problem faily well - enough to just live with it. I still have too many leaks but I'm always figuring better ways to handle it. I'm sure I will improve it eventually.

For those of you with large bladders, have to tried emptying every 3 or so hours during your wake time. That perhaps could help with the inability to hold your urine and therefore having accidents.

There are times when I have to strain and push in order to pee. Could this be a part of the problem? With all of the tests that I have had through the years where tubes of various sizes put in my penis and rectum cause stress on my sphincter...the only one left to do the work? Also, I had green light laser surgery about 10 years ago. Could that be another issue contributing to more current problems? Sorry for all the questions. The older we get, the more we tend to have.