Ketamine abuse can destroy bladder and kidneys

Archives1

Staff member
I was shocked by this TV documentary:O:

"Ketamine", also known on the street as "Special K" and "Vitamin K", can destroy your bladder and kidneys. It's an anesthesia that people are abusing. Some factory in India makes normal drugs during the day then spends all night producing this stuff. They ship it all over the world.

One young man said he had to urinate more than 200 times per day and was painfully passing blood. (He said, "...like razor blades".) The doctor said the man's bladder had shrunk to almost nothing. The lining was destroyed and shredded. He replaced the man's bladder with a section of his intestine, and he now needs a kidney transplant. The incision looked like it was from his heart to genitals! WOW!

The doctor said it would require a lifetime of urologist treatment.
:eek:

Hi, @MezaJarJarBinks, thank you for sharing that with us! This is a true case of prevention being much, much, much easier than the cure. In other words if you don't use Ketamine, don't even start! And the threat of needing a kidney transplant should be enough of an incentive to avoid that stuff altogether!
I have heard of Ketamine but how and why do people use it?

In the video, they either snort it or boil and inject it.

From what I gathered, it is a special anesthesia that works differently than propofol and gas. They said it "separates your body from your brain." One woman described that she lost all sensory input. She became paralyzed, felt "flat", then became a "dot", but never lost consciousness. So, she was in a different state of mind and could not feel her body! They drool and don't even know their name!

I guess it has a legitimate medical use if used properly?

Hmmmm, I don't know @MezaJarJarBinks, from that description given by that woman, I think I will stick with propofol or whatever gas they regularly use for anesthesia, that is, if given the choice!

I've had ketamine along with propofol for anesthetic several times. Some anesthesiologists feel that it provides better pain control. I often have trouble with post-anesthesia nausea, and ketamine can help about that, although it's not a huge problem even with straight propofol. My last several times with wheatgrass have just used propofol.

I once had a doctor give me an infusion of ketamine to see if it would help my longstanding treatment-resistant depression. There is some evidence that a single large ketamine dose, or a few doses, can do that, ketamine clinics have popped up in many places, offering this therapy for a few hundred dollars. I was hospitalized with a UTI that required IV antibiotics, and the doctor was interested in seeing the result of ketamine on my depression, so we went for it.

It was intense. It was a full-on hallucinogenic trip. Suddenly a lot of 60s and 70s album covers made sense. I was initially confused about where I was, and thought I might be dead, or that perhaps what I thought was my real life was just a hallucination while I was waiting to be born. I was on a rainbow-colored monorail car, going to meet a nightclub emcee whose name was a guitar chord. There was music and sound and rainbow colors everywhere. The monorail car swooped around here, and suddenly turned to go vertically up a tower. The nightclub was at the top, and I met the host, then I was off on the monorail again.

Then, suddenly, it was over. It lasted about 20 minutes, and apparently my facial expressions during that time were very alarming to my wife, the doctor, and the nurse. I rather enjoyed it, though I'm not likely to try to repeat it. Later reading suggested that the dose was correct, but it should have been installed over an hour, not pushed over a couple of minutes.

By far the strangest hospital experience I've ever had, and I've spent a lot of time hospitalized!

I'll confess to having some some hallucinogenic substances in college, and this was far shorter but much more intense (even overwhelming) than those. I'm not sure what the appeal would be as a party drug, since I was basically unresponsive for twenty minutes. And keep in mind that I was in a hospital setting with a doctor supervising the procedure and a code team a minute or so away.

I haven't had any bladder or kidney issues as a result, but then again it was only a single door will within the treatment guidelines for anesthetic use, though they're usually give it after the propofol to avoid the whole ketamine trip.

I know this probably sounds like something I made up. It's not, weird as it was.

Hi @ltapilot, that is indeed a strange story but the ketamine was administered in a hospital and under controlled circumstances. Based on your description of the psychedelic trip it is obviously not something to be taken anywhere outside of a medical setting without medical supervision.