Kegals

Archives1

Staff member
My urologist diagnosed my problems as oab due to brain injury. He offered medications, but I shied away from them because of the side effects- they mimic the symptoms of my post concussion problems completely, then add a couple more of their own. I have been using incontinence briefs and other products like 'Guards for men' (no longer big enough) since my injury. Kegals have never made any difference at all, so my question is, with a neurological cause of oab, am I wasting my time doing them? IOW, are kegals only effective when there is an actual lack of muscle control? My issues are daily (without exception for the past 7 years), completely unpredictable, and sometimes with multiple episodes in a 24 hour period- i.e. 6 or 7 changes in that time.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I know that Kegals are not for everyone. I worked with an incontinence PT, and she told me to stop doing them and not do them any more because they made it worse for me.

Kegels actually made my issues worse. Over a month my bowel accidents went up and my bladder did not change at all. I had more days of being bound up and in a lot of pain so was told to back off the number I was doing (100+ a day).

They are different not for everyone. For me, nothing that I have tried from my physical therapist has worked. Yea, it's better to try things than not to but right now I feel like we have tossed all the stuff at the wall and nothing has stuck so we are looking into other options.