Just Wondering...

Archives1

Staff member
How hard it would be for a company like Pampers, Huggies or Luvs to make adult versions of their products...i.e. Pampers Easy Ups or another one of their pull ups or brief diapers. Just wondering!!!

@mhart82 That would be an awesome idea! The only thing is that companies like that seem to be only geared to newborns. Maybe if they made matching pairs for the parent? Then we could easily use them for us but I'm not exactly sure.

They do..... Procter & Gamble makes Pampers and Luvs. They also make Always Discreet incon products for women. They use to make Attends, but they sold off that brand in the 90's.

Kimberly-Clark makes Huggies. They also make Depends.

October 18, 2020

It is really harder than we think in concept. The market for adult products is different and the set up of machines to manufacture them would be expensive as well as the unproven market.

I am 24 days post Prostatectomy

I received my samples from Northshore. I wore the Northshore GoSupreme Underwear size large (36-48) at bedtime. I have a 40 inch waist. It performed beautifully. Depends Pull-ups handle my day time needs, but I need something much stronger at bedtime because it seems that everything that I drank from 5 PM to 9 PM comes out 2 to 3 hours after I go to sleep. I wake up half way through the discharge to go to the bathroom. I plan to buy the GoSupreme Lite (34 oz).

I use Pamperz adult pullups and their insertable/easily removable guards. Get them delivered via Amazon or at a Walmart near you.

It would be almost impossible to replicate a scaled up version. First a babies body shape is different from an adult. Second the amount of sap and fluff To scale to size would make them exuberantly expensive. As far as I know the ABU simple ultra is a replica of them. They are what I use (because of their vast absorbency) but I’m not sure if they are replicas or not.

@Spaz that really makes a lot of sense! In addition to body shapes I would think that the output between babies and adults is also different and difference in absorbency would also have to be figured into the equation. In order for a company that makes diapers for babies to gear up for an adult line the machinery would have to be different and the "innards" for the diapers would have to be scaled to the right size and absorbency requirements. And I really like the way you said it would "make them exuberantly expensive!" That's a pretty cool description of something expensive. Gonna have to remember that!
And that's why the companies that make mass market diapers for babies have separate divisions for their adult products.

Hmmmm! Good point there, @ritanofsinger. And did you know that during World War II some of the auto companies also made airplanes?

Yes, billiveshere,
I just finished reading a book by John B. Rae, The American Automobile: A Brief History and learned a whole lot of things. The book was published in 1963 so it's a little outdated but served my purpose.

When my dad was dying from a tumor on his lung in 1981 I realized that I hadn't talked with him very much about his history. So pulling at random thoughts I asked him what was the first car he ever drove? He said, "The Winton." I had never heard of it and he didn't elaborate. So after reading this book I know about it and I am now wondering how my dad ever got the chance to drive that car. He grew up and lived on a farm outside a town of about 400 people in Kansas. My grandpa had a Model A when I was very small which he only used for taking the family into town on Saturday night and church on Sunday morning. Other times he used the buckboard wagon. They were however about 40 miles from Wichita and my dad had friends so maybe he drove it in the city sometime. I wish I had put more thought into asking questions of substance. My dad was not a big talker.

I wonder what the point/benefit of these companies making adult products would be. The main adult brands are well established and it's embarrassing enough buying these products, let alone buying Pampers/Huggies branded ones!

@Spaz It's an interesting point re the sap/fluff.I never had any issues as a really young kid with leaks when I would wear nappies for bedwetting but I've had frequent leaks with the maximum absorbency Tena products. Like you, I've switched to crazily absorbent products (Rearz, Tykables) for overnight issues (which have effectively returned for me as now I'll wake up with no warning time) and when travelling as they're the only secure products around.

Rather than a 'scaled up' Pampers/Huggies, I'd just like Tena to release a plastic-backed product with a decent capacity and tapes. Whilst the Ultima tends to do fine for my after dribble and/or a small-ish accident, they're pretty useless in the event of an overnight accident or when travelling (which is more of an issue for me now since I'm reliant on buses since moving). I can only assume that Tena don't go any bigger capacity wise for discretion and/or cost reasons.

Do any of you remember how many times we change a baby during the day? Lots! And at night? Any time they (1) cry) and (2) any time they get fed. Ask the mom how often they get fed in the wee hours, all you husbands who slept through! So, what is the capacity-need, even in terms of the different scale? Babies pee anytime, adults "hold it", and need to. I will admit that more comes out of a baby then goes in. (hehehehehe)
What I'm saying is: just "converting" a factory line from baby to adult diapers might not be as easy as we wish, and has maybe considerable different criteria, though that seems counter-intuitive at first glance. That doesn't excuse a big company from designing properly for adults. And can we all afford to buy as many diapers as a baby uses in a day?
I'm not happy with adult pads and diapers, either. If enough of us switch to North Shore or another alternative, the big companies will do one of two things: make a better diaper, or buy out the alternative companies and not produce what they buy out. You guess which will happen.

Ford Motor Co. made 8,000 of the 16,000 B-24s (the most produced heavy bomber of WWII, and maybe ever). It wasn't as armored as the B17, not as sturdy, but had greater range and carried a heavier load of bombs. Made at the Willow Run plant, just outside of Detroit (then), staffed by a lot of Appalaichians and Southerners (who came for the jobs and the wages, and maybe the draft-exemption) who had to deal with a lot of Prejudice from those snob-Detroiters. The plant was built for the purpose, in record time. The photos of the assembly line are amazing. I think there's a video.

There was a company - west coast, I think - that competed (prior to the Pandemic) to make an affordable, smaller, and intuitive ventilator. They succeeded, but didn't have a big capacity, and were a small company with a small capital. They got bought out by one of the really big companies, who then proceeded to NOT produce them, as the profit margin on the expensive ones (like in the US Gov't stockpile) was so much higher. I got that from a reputable news source. Now ask why the Gov't didn't force someone to make that cheaper, more efficient, more easily operated design once the pandemic started....
Ain't politics and economics wonderful?

I know, but how hard would it be to add plastic backing to like a Depends Pull Up or another adult pull up? Or add elastic banding to an already adult plastic backed brief diaper like a Northshore brand. Just thinking out loud.

@mhart82 Good point, in fact I think a lot of the threads on here and our gripes show that most of the big adult incontinence brands need to improve their products. Plus, as you say, it's only a few minor tweaks here and there that are needed.

@ritanofsinger I do wonder if it money is the issue. As @Spaz says it would probably be more costly to make products with higher absorbency and probably why the 6 litre plus products are so expensive relative to the regular brands. That being said, I don't think I'd switch to them all the time even if I could afford it because of discretion. I don't really care about wearing them at night (I live alone) and whilst travelling (unlikely to bump into anyone) but I think there are limits. That being said, wet trousers are hardly discreet.

@thudson1965 : I wear the Leakmaster brand PUL diaper covers from Adult Cloth Diaper Company at night. They are much fuller cut than the Gary Active Wear PUL diaper coves. The fuller cut gives me better overall protection and allows total freedom of movement while sleeping. I use the trimmer Gary Active Wear pants during the day. The quality of both is excellent and I suspect they are made by the same company.