It's National Continence Week!

Archives1

Staff member
Today marks the start of a 10th Annual World Continence Week, an awareness campaign to bring a much-needed light on a common problem for many. An estimated 70 percent of people affected by incontinence don’t talk about it. Even if you don't suffer from incontinence, it's very likely someone you know does - although they may not talk about it. It doesn't have to be an uncomfortable word, and it's all in how you frame the issue. Talking openly about health issues can diminish the sense of shame that can come with many illnesses.

I had a spinal cord injury some 10 years ago. I was 25 years old while battling cauda equina, leading to a neurogenic bladder. I was blatantly told to accept my disposition by learning to cope with it as I aged. Now at 35, wanting a normal life, and a normal sexual life for that matter, am still awaiting the FDA's approval for neurological stem cell treatments. It makes me cry my heart out for others too, while the rest of the world cures their citizens with the best available treatment (without 7-years testing after a decade of proven track records).

I understand the feeling of being afraid to seek help. It’s a taboo subject – no one wants to talk about incontinence. The fact is, the myths of incontinence often obstruct people from getting the help they need to live an active lifestyle. Incontinence affects over 13M Americans who have been diagnosed, and possibly millions of others who haven't. Knowing the truth about incontinence can help relieve any embarrassment of the condition. Get medical advice fast, seek help before it gets worse, and follow the treatment plan once diagnosed.

Hi Matttyco,

Thank you for your truth and vulnerability about such a sensitive topic. It truly is a silent epidemic.