It's all going be Okay...

Archives1

Staff member
No matter how you look at everything going on in our world today it will all work out exactly how it is going to without any input from you and I. Fact is that our county is going through its ups and downs. There were times were we did not know what to do next and it still worked out in the end.

Today we have to remember that this right now is not as bad as so had it just a few generations before us.

Just a reminder...

If you were born in 1900

At 14, WW 1 starts and does not end tell you're 18.. Over 22 million died

The year you turn 18 Spanish flu hits killing over 50 million. You watch as the word suffers until you are 20.

Then you get married and start a factor job and begin investing for your retirement… but at 29 the stock exchange collapses and you're left unemployed in hunger.

Luck you were born in America and not in Germany because at 33 the Nazis come to power. At 39 WWII begins and does not end tell your 45 years old.. Over 60 million died.

At 52, the Korean War begins and lasts for 3 years.
Another 5 million die.

But wait there is more.

At 64 the Vietnam War begins and does not end tell you would be 75. Another 1.3 million people died.

So in just 75 years of life you would have seen the would lose almost 150 million people just from war or a pandemic.

I count myself luck to live in this time where technology has help make a vaccine in less than a year, where that vaccine is on its way to states in the millions of doses as I type this.
Where companies work together for the greater good.\(Pfizer/BioNTech, Both have a vaccine but have shared their work with other vaccine creators so that everyone can work together to get a vaccine out there)

Where we can vent our frustrations on a forum like this about our day to day issues with this crappy conditions...pun intended.

Where we can seek out the best care advice from others that are going through it with us.

We will get through this. As generations before us are a testament to, It's all going to be okay.

wetdad said:
Indeed. At least we have better protection.

Home washing machines were not invented until 1908 so everything was done by hand washing before that and it was all cloth diapers... so yea we have it good.

Does this mean you do nothing but just leave it to "what is to be will be" people gave their lives for us to live this great life.

Hi @FlGuy, boy ain't that the truth!!!!!! You got that right there! We are very lucky to be living in a time where a vaccine can be made in less than a year and be on its way to us even as we speak! And companies are working together for everyone's greater good to get those vaccines out to us in the quickest and safest way possible. And the research and care that have gone into those vaccines is second to none!
And as you say, let's not forget technological advances like the Internet that enable us to have great forums like this one where those of us with something in common from all over the world can get together for friendly support and realize we are not the only ones with these issues. And in the blink of an eye the Internet can connect us as friends and get advice to help us cope, as well as for each of us to be able to help others who reach out.
And yes we will get through all of this because we have the stamina and stick-to-it-iveness to do it.
Thank you so much for your very inspirational thoughts. It certainly is a pleasure to meet you and know you through the Internet!

WillyD said:
Does this mean you do nothing but just leave it to "what is to be will be" people gave their lives for us to live this great life.

As a Bible believing Christian I have learned that His will be done no matter what...

There are time where there are only one set of foot prints in the sand because He carried me.... and time were there is a trench because He dragged me kicking and screaming.

WWII was worse than that - now that the Iron Curtain is down and most archives (except the military) is open, the number lost there, military and civilian, is estimated at between 16 million and 19 million, I believe.
Polio - (I was in grade school when the Salk vaccine came out) got a lot. I've seen some awful numbers for the "tropic" diseases, like malaria, and some haven't gone away.
I still believe in cloth diapers (as long as I have a washing machine!)
Think of all the routine vaccinations that save us from some horrible diseases/pain/death.
My mother saw radio & TV come in (She didn't like electric typewriters). I saw computers & cell phones. I'm not so sure those 5 were "advances! I'm ready to to back to a dial phone on the wall....
Hot & cold running water? Now there is an invaluable advance! Sure beats the once-a-week bath, one tub of water for the whole fam damily.
We have fresh fruits & veggies at all seasons. Hmmm; that has it's downside. (Ecologically speaking, anyway.) So that brings up refrigeration. Beats none, beats having blocks of ice delivered. (That was still going on in our apartment building when I was in the lower grades in the 1950s. Horse-drawn wagon, too. That vanished quickly.)
Cheers!
Yeah, we have it better.

Hi @AlasSouth, hot and cold running water for sure!!! :D And for us in Florida air conditioning! In fact it was invented in Florida by a doctor (Dr. John Gorrie) who used it to treat a patient with either typhoid or malaria, up in Apalachicola. And cars with air conditioning are also pretty cool! (All right, that's enough! Better quit while I'm ahead!!!)

Auto air conditioning was invented by three guys up in Michigan. They got the first system working, and took it to show the various car manufacturers. The car makers were impressed, of course, and asked how much they'd have to pay to license the technology. The inventors told them that they wouldn't have to pay anything; all these guys wanted was to have their names put on every car air conditioner made, so they'd be remembered for their contribution. To this day, their names are still there: Max, Norm, and Hi.

Sorry, couldn't resist, with the discussion of air conditioning! And I'm very grateful for that, along with central heat instead of steam radiators or wood stoves!

The late 1800's were rough too. Ive been to many cemeteries and seen A Lot of tombstones from people born from about 1880 and later die early 1900's, they did not live that long.😔

And you know ThatFlguy that Pfizer/BioNTech are owned by a married couple who work together? And the greatest reason we will get through this is because throughout the millions of years humans have been flexible. We have learned ways to adapt.
And I've washed diapers by hand. The secret is in the kind of soap used and it helps when you hang them on the clothesline if a stiff breeze is blowing. The thing that made the difference in the softness was the "automatic" dryer! What a great invention. It saved the homemake a lot of work. Even though I always enjoyed hanging stuff on the clothesline and then smelling them when I retrieved them, except when they froze!

AlasSouth - I get what you mean about cell phones vs. dial phones. Texting on a cell phone can be quite frustrating when the phone "thinks" it knows better what you mean to say and changes the whole idea. Like today I texted my daughter that my granddaughter who lives with me "was off to work." The phone changed it to "was jogging to work." She never jogs and she drives to work! So it took more time to clear that up. Aggravating!

billiveshere - In the late 1940's my dad put a swamp cooler on the driver's side window in our car. I don't think he understood how that worked as we lived in southern Oklahoma! But the fan part was good!

Hi @ritanofsinger, a swamp cooler on the driver's side window of the car?????? :O Boy I would like to have seen that!!!! He must have needed an extremely loooooooooooooooooooong cord!!!! :D

Oh wow!!!! @ltapilot, I've never seen anything like that before!!! Never! That is really amazing! :O I wonder how well they worked? Well I just learned something new today! But I'm afraid I don't know Polish but pictures are worth a thousand words!!!

My mother use to tell me about the "Ice Man" who would come thru the neighborhood every few days, with his ice truck. He'd deliver blocks of ice that everyone would put in their insulated ice box to keep the food cool. I was like "Wait, you had to do WHAT?!?!?"

MikeD9876 said:
My mother use to tell me about the "Ice Man" who would come thru the neighborhood every few days, with his ice truck. He'd deliver blocks of ice that everyone would put in their insulated ice box to keep the food cool. I was like "Wait, you had to do WHAT?!?!?"

My mom still has my great grandfather's ice box in our storage back in Florida.. It needs to be restored some. But it is in good condition just missing the legs.. we were going to use it for a cooler but the paint on the outside is chipping away and it is lead paint so he has to restore it but has not had the time or space to do it. One of his many on finished projects.

billliveshere said:
Oh wow!!!! @ltapilot, I've never seen anything like that before!!! Never! That is really amazing! :O I wonder how well they worked? Well I just learned something new today! But I'm afraid I don't know Polish but pictures are worth a thousand words!!!

I had a co-worker years ago who restored vintage cars, and he told me about driving a 50's vintage Chevy to Las Vegas using one of those. I'd never heard of them until then - I thought he was making it up until he showed me a picture!

It's easy to forget that every time period is full of smart people coming up with innovative solutions to problems using whatever tools are at hand.

What you say @ltapilot is so true! There have been inventive people all along who found solutions just by using whatever they had on hand. I often wonder if everything that needs to be invented has already been invented!! But surely someone will think of something that is needed but no one ever thought of before! And once that is invented the world will beat a path to that inventor's door!

Itapilot - I'm currently reading a 1967 National Geographic book, "My Friends The Wild Chimpanzees by Jane Goodall. The chimps made their own tools on site and then discarded them as the "tools" were plant material and wouldn't keep well.

My father-in-law besides being a master mechanic for Buick, Oldsmobile, was an inventor of sorts. He did the same thing, making a tool to fit the job he was doing. He did sub-contract work from his enclosed back porch, for a sub-contractor for Boeing Airplane Company in Wichita, KS. Sometime in the 1950's he made a circular bacon press from a piece of solid aluminum with 36 holes stamped into it, with a wooden knob screwed into the center. I still use it nearly daily to fry bacon, sausage or anything else that needs to be held down!

And like father, like son, when my late husband and I were driving from Kansas to New York where he was to start school with IBM in Kingston, the water line in the car burst and Bill repaired it with a stick he found on the side of the road, a paper clip and a rubber band I had in my purse.

Years later he had given me an IBM Selectric typewriter that I loved. I told him I wished I could use it on an airplane. He said that there would never be an electric typewriter that a person could use on an airplane. LOL He was right about the electric part but didn't see the future of computers even though he wrote technical manuals about the use of computers on a computer. He really sold the future short in that matter! (Find a need or a want and fill it!)