Interstim implant experience

Archives1

Staff member
Hey guys,

Unfortunately after being on Vesicare without any major improvements my urologist is pushing an interstim implant. I am hesitant to have any surgery involving my back due to prior injury. Is this something that anyone has had fully resolve their incontinence? Willing to listen to pros and cons and weigh options if it could lead to the possibility of getting out of diapers, curious to hear other’s experiences

I've got an Interstim. Although I am overall very happy with it and would get it again, that's mostly because it helped with the pain from my interstitial cystitis. It also helped reduce my bladder spasms, but it hasn't been 100% at that.

In my view, you have to be willing to accept it as an improvement even if it's not 100%. Some people are OK with any improvement, and some people take the view that if it doesn't completely resolve their incontinence that it's not helpful. Only you can decide which viewpoint better reflects how you feel, and let that guide your decision about whether to have surgery.

The surgery was unpleasant because they needed to place the leads while I was awake. They used a local anesthetic to numb the area so I didn't feel any pain from that, but when they placed the lead and asked me to tell them what I felt was pretty uncomfortable. It took them probably 20 minutes to get the lead in the right place, and after that they put me under with a general anesthetic and finished up. That last was easy. The recovery was easy and uneventful, and the benefits are still with me two and a half years later. For me, it was totally worth it.

Technology can be awesome if it works. I don’t have experience with that device. But like all medical procedures, it might be wise to find a surgeon who has done a million of those implants. That way she will have the best chance to get it positioned correctly.

Good luck!

~Mel

You can use the “search” (magnifying glass) to help you find previous posts on this topic. There are many.

I have had amazing success with the Interstim. I have had it in since 2016. Before the implant I was changing clothes 2-3 times a day. After the implant a (and some adjustments) I have my 20 year old bladder back again! Would do it again in a heartbeat.

@Dcny, @snow is correct. Do a search for Interstim and you'll find a variety of people who have discussed their Interstim experience. As @Itapilot stated it does not end the urgency 100% usually. The company's goal is to improve things by at least 50%. My story is long as you'll read if you look for my forum entries. I had my 4th Interstim implanted about 2 months ago and it is helping me at least 50% of the time. It took about a month working with the Medtronic rep to get the device so it works to its optimum level.

This site does a good job of explaining the process: https://www.medtronic.com/us-en/hea...euromodulation/education-training/videos.html

It is vital that you find a urologist who has a lot of experience with doing the implant.

I have posted many times about this. I have an overactive bladder and have had the Medtronic implant for many years now. It works well for me.

I have been asked several times to have it done, I guess personally I haven't spoke with anyone that was fully positive. Plus a friend of mine had it done, it was on and off, eventually his Dr. removed
Boom

I have had nothing but a great experience with my interstitial. I was wetting my pants 3 or 4 times a day. Diapers didn't even catch it all. After some adjustments I have my 20 year old bladder back