intermittent cathing

Archives1

Staff member
Hi-Did anyone start intermittent cathing as a child? Was it hard to learn to do? Was it hard to accept? Thanks all!

I'm a nurse and some of my spina bifida kids self cath. Most of them do well with it, as it helps reduce accidents.

@imgettingold thanks. Do they still need a diaper or does the leaking reduce to the point where they don’t need a diaper anymore?

@risas as an adult that uses intermittent catheters I do still wear protection as I still leak randomly, just smaller volumes, Phil

risas said:
@imgettingold thanks. Do they still need a diaper or does the leaking reduce to the point where they don’t need a diaper anymore?
Yes, most of them do still need protection for leaks.

I have been wondering if intermittent cathing would help me. I am contemplating visiting a doctor for a prescription but I dont want to jump through hoops and have visit after visit.

Sorry to hijack :)

Jumping through hoops is frustrating, however at the end of that work if you find something to improve life’s challenges I’d say it is worth it. If it doesn’t help, I suppose that is a risk you take.

@risas will do!

@Rupertino I am overdue for a urologist visit. I spent quite a bit of money from co-pays and procedures a few years ago with no diagnosis. I hate throwing money away. I am trying to find a source for intermittent catheters online without an Rx. I may eventually go back in but I hate paying for someone else to guess and eventually make me go back in. I would rather keep a bladder diary and take it in beforehand.

It is frustrating spending all that money. I have spent more money on Doctors this year than my whole life combined. Good luck in your search for solutions.

I still have to wear protection and I self cath every 2 hours using Coloplast Speedicath flex pocket catheters. Very discreet and easy to use. Just have to wash hands before and after.