Insurance

Archives1

Staff member
Hello Message Board Users!

Since the topic of insurance and the cost of incontinence supplies has come up a few times over the past several weeks, I wanted to let you know that we have developed a new page on our site dedicated to the subject.

We know that navigating insurance can be frustrating, confusing, and time-consuming. And we wish that more products were covered. NAFC does work with a group to try to get states to adopt our quality absorbency standards. And while it's always a work in progress, we have made headway.

Insurance coverage is a tricky beast as all plans are different and the rules that govern each state vary too.

As a first step to helping you all, we hope you'll check out the new page on incontinence supplies and insurance, which was developed in conjunction with Aeroflow Urology. They are a great resource, as they handle all the paperwork and hassle of getting contacting your insurance company, and getting your product approved. We hope you'll reach out to them if you have questions or are looking for help.

We will keep you all apprised of other efforts we may embark on when it comes to advocating for insurance coverage.

Thanks for all of your comments and feedback - we truly appreciate your input and hope that you continue to see NAFC as a resource for you.

Incontinence Products And Insurance: https://www.nafc.org/insurance-coverage-incontinence-products

Thanks!
NAFC

Thank you again for your efforts on our behalf! An organization such as NAFC carries a great deal more power than our voices individually. If it helps I would be more than happy to sign a specific release to Sue’s my name in conjunction with your efforts.

Regards,
Tom McCarthy

It's a good idea for insurance to pay incontinent supplies, but not what Medicaid OFFERS. They are cheapest Diapers out there and they don't work at all. When it comes to incontinent supplies/diapers take a look at some of posts hear, you will find out that most / part of members hear wear good quality Diapers that absorbed large lot. Medicaid Diapers are cloth like Diapers that absorbed little and leak through to cloths. You Should do a survey on what products of incontinent supplies/diapers members use. Aerflow urology is a good company, edgepark, ect. Diapers that sell are ok, But not there fought it is government. They don't make plastic back Diapers for Medicaid use, they ony make cloth like Diapers for Medicaid.

I'm glad NAFC is working on the insurance issue. It's always struck me as grossly unfair that the supplies necessary to manage our medical problems are not covered by insurance.

I had a horrible experience a few years ago when a medical supplier that I used (whom I won't name, though it was NOT one of the companies that sponsors this forum) told me that the diapers I need were covered by my insurance. I worked with the rep to choose a product that met my needs and fell within the insurance guidelines, and for several months they shipped a recurring order to me. Then they started billing me for what they'd already shipped - it turned out that my insurance hadn't been covering them all along, but by then they'd shipped five months worth of somewhat overpriced products. I was stuck paying a bit over $2000 out of pocket, despite appealing to them because they had been the ones who assured me in the first place that they were covered.

At any rate, thank you, NAFC!